Find
Notify
Tools

Please Help!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was about to load some test loads for our 338 Remington Ultra Mag with the Sierra 300 grain Match King bullet.

I started off with 80 grains of VVN 165, and Walter was watching.

Walter:"Why are you putting so little powder? You used more than a 100 grains with the other bullet"

Me:"This is a heavier bullet, so I have to put less powder."

Walter: "You mean the heavier the bullet you use, the less powder you have to use?"

Me: "Yes."

Walter: "So if you use a VERY heavy bullet, you would not need any powder at all?"

Now, I need some help to answer our genius.

Any answer will be gladly welcomed.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Chuckle
Walter sounds like my ex wife.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell walter that he can use a 500 gr bullet in his 338 then when he is charged. He can hit them over the head with it.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him that his suggestion is true, but that the bullet would have to be very large, as large as an asteroid, at least 20 miles in diameter and 100 miles long, and then how would you carry it?

It's a crazy answer, but it should keep him puzzled and confused long enough that you can go about your work undisturbed for awhile.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 12-15-2001).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just tell Walter that he should stick to factory ammo only in his guns, and to leave the reloads for your guns to you. Tell him that he is hopeless, and a very funny fellow, in a strange sort of way. Tell him he should not go near the reloading equipment or components.

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
only if he uses Uranium 215mag primers!

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 338 Cap? Should fit in a very short action!

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
gone: You mean new Uranium 235mag primers ?!

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Walter truly is one of a kind!

That reminds me of the blonde joke you told me a while ago. Remember, the one where the blonde couldn't figure out why you would bother to play golf at all if it was true that the better you were, the less you played?

Was Walter blonde before he turned grey?

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Saeed, I feel sorry for you......

It seems that Walter thinks like "me", that's bad. Really, really bad!

<Don G>
posted
Saeed,

Tell him "Yes, you've got the right idea, but by the time the bullets get that big they are called spears!"

DaggaRon knows all about spears, Walter can come over here and get a lesson. Ron says first you have to piss of the boar. Walter can handle that with no effort , so he and Ron can each teach the other a lesson.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don G,
Now that is a scary thought!
Walter with a spear!
Not around me please!

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Ron,

I thought you were adventurous?

Let's see, you hunt boar with a sharp stick, but you don't want to be around Walter when he has one.

It's nice to see you draw the line somewhere!

Don

<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Saeed

Tell Walter that because of the Law of
Diminishing Returns , once the weight of the bullet exceedes a certain point (the point of diminishing returns)the bullet is too long to fit in the case.
That is very heavy bullets are so long that they will not fit in the rifle.
So technically Walter is correct as VERY heavy bullets will not chamber in a rifle and are only good for throwing,you do not need any powder.
The technique however for using very heavy projectiles is some what like tossing the caper.
One has to get very close to the animal in question and sort of tip the cartridge over so that it falls on their head.
Thus the use of VERY heavy projectiles is not recommended.

Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

<gone hunting>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
gone: You mean new Uranium 235mag primers ?!

can't get the 235s in the states anymore so use 215s

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Walter, is just trying to learn, just like the rest of us. Explain to him that as the weight of the bullet increases so does the recoil and that after a while no one could tolerate it. Finally he could do hunting the old way, with a BFR which all of our Forefathers used at one time or another. This may get you another question though, "What is a BFR" explain that as a Big Friggin Rock. Which if thrown or dropped will use no powder but will provide a very interesting Buff hunt.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Is Walter a Texas Aggie by any chance?

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long did Walter work for the Clinton administration? He sounds kinda like slick willie trying to define "is".

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<bobshawn>
posted
Saeed __

I think I remember Walter. Ask him if he recalls the stupid fat kid who was his loader on a horse drawn, really big cross-bow that fired bolts the size of a broom stick.

Good shooting.

Robert