New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohaus 10-10 scale issue, what to do ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased an Ohaus 10-10 scale from an eBay seller recently, it was advertized as being in MINT condition. When it arrived everything looked fine, when I went to use it I could not get it to zero out no matter what I tried. I've been using 10-10's for years now this is the first time I've had this issue. When I put the pan on it the needle is pegged at the top of the scale. Using the level adjusting screw has no effect. I removed one of the shot pellets from the pan hanger and the needle is pegged at the bottom of the scale. Suggestions/ideas how to remedy this problem are being sought. Can anyone help ? i've checked for damaged/missing parts and everything looks fine.

Posts: 384 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 22 November 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Possibly need to replace the agates. Free from RCBS. Seems strange to have such a swing with just removing ONE BB. I suppose it could have the wrong pan with it, not sure how much difference that would cause.

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 22 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Had one since 1969. Works fine. Take a Q tip and alcohol and clean the lint and dirt out of the V notch in the bearing. It will stick if that is not perfectly clean.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you still have one of your earlier 10-10's try using the pan from that on the newly acquired scale and see if it works normally.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The agates referred to are the V notches but it takes a lot of use to wear them out. Cleaning is a good idea.

Posts: 5 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 22 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut the BB in to quarters. Or use #12 (dust) shot. You may have to lighten the pan itself.

RCBS may cover it under warranty.

Posts: 699 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I had troubles with my RCBS 10-10 scale, made by OHaus.
I wrote to RCBS asking for advice and they instructed me to send the scale to them.
After 5 or 6 weeks I received a message from the post office informing that I had a parcel waiting for me as well as a bill from the customs.
The parcel contained a new scale and two RCBS complimentary Tee shirts.
Shipping and customs costed a bit less than a new scale!
I respectfully suggest to get in touch with RCBS.
If live in the continental US shipping expenses are low.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I broke the beam on a 10-10 called RCBS.

Sent it to Ohaus they fixed it sent it back at no cost.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote