New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Price Gouging
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found some Large Rifle Primers -- 7 boxes Winchester at $5 a box. Then at another shop 3 boxes of CCI at $4 a box.

Seems like a "brick" used to run about $12 -- all the shops had them, and you could buy as many as you needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
7 boxes Winchester at $5 a box. Then at another shop 3 boxes of CCI at $4 a box.

I assume you are talking about a 100-count flat? That's pretty high. I got my last 1000-count of small rifle for 40 bucks-- and I was damned glad to get 'em...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like a "brick" used to run about $12 -- all the shops had them, and you could buy as many as you needed.

Yep years ago. Seems like the everyday price is now in the low $20s per brick or at least that is what I paid for several 1000s when I was in Grafs last month.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:

hasn't been 12 bucks in SIXTEEN years, since before the clintons

gouging? did you BUY them or not? gouging is what someone PAYS, not what someone charges

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about gouging,so won't touch that one. But I'd guess primer prices vary considerably sometimes, by location.

Here on the I-5 corridor, until just before Mr. Obama was elected, I was able to buy primers in 5,000 primer packets for $60 at every local gun show for the immediately previous 3 years or so.

There was a fellow who would travel the I-5 corridor with a truck-full to make all the bigger shows, and that was his standard price...Winchester brand all the time, and Federals sometimes. So, at every gun show (twice per year locally) I'd buy at the very least 20,000.

Just before Obamas's election the hoarding began, and all of a sudden they were made of unobtanium.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
well on a private sale last week, I was able to buy 7 boxes of Fed 215s for $12.00 a box of 1,000...

this was after someone had passed away...I'll put them to good use!

someone beat me to all the Fed 210s they had..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
gouging? did you BUY them or not? gouging is what someone PAYS, not what someone charges

Roger that. I can't be gouged because I WON'T be gouged.

Seafire, I'm glad you got a good deal. I know a guy who got a pile of primers and powders FREE after his shooting buddy passed away. But that kind of deal really doesn't have any meaning to the rest of us.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:

hasn't been 12 bucks in SIXTEEN years, since before the clintons

Exactly, on all counts.
Primers have not been $12 for a very long time.
My local store used to sell primers, when they had them, but the 100 count for between $4 and $5. A brick of a thousand was $34, when they had them.
If you can't afford them at the $5 price, don't buy them. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to pay $5 for a 100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cci's are loosening up - rest are still going into loaded ammo.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy them seafire, wait 5 years and check the prices and you will say oh shit.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You damn straight I bought them! First Large Rifle Primers I've seen in 9 months.

Now I have 1000 of them, and I've returned the flintlock to the back of the gunsafe.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, I still have a 1K RPLP bought duirng the Clinton shortage @ $12.95. Under $30/1K is about the going rate, pay more & you are getting hosed IMO. You can thank the Obama admin. for scarying everyone into hoarding or forcing them into reloading becasue of ammo shortages, also caused by hoarding. middlefinger Buy what you need, if you find them cheap, buy more than you need. I don't see things getting much cheapercoffee

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I paid too much for the SM match.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/..._Primers#Post3338739
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Price Gouging is the guy trying to sell me 200 primers for $20. I told him I would go without and find them somewhere else. He said he has sold about 2000 this way over the past month. I just walked out there was no sense in saying anything else because he felt so good about it. I did tell him that my future business would be done elsewhere.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
<sigh> over flowing shelves in the houston carter's country .. 35 bucks per k.. no federal 215, limited small rifle mags ... HUGE numbers ..

its regional .. i guess the hoarders have more money than in houston

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7.62Rebel
posted Hide Post
No gouging-just supply and demand....it's like people buying Gold for SHTF,don't understand it,a handful of .22 will be more valuable than a handful of gold.IMO

Go Galt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Primer Price Gouging

A typical liberal viewpoint!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I found some primers today going for 5.99/100 or 46.99/1000.......

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote