New
Find
Notify
Tools

Novice Reloader - NJ/PA
 Login/Join

posted
Gresstings everyone,

First, I wanted to thank all of you for many hours of great reading and lots of useful information. I have spent many a late night reading threads on here.

Santa was good to me this year – I have a brand new RockChucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit from RCBS and a CED Chronograph. I have also acquired the Nosler, Barnes, and an older Hornady reloading manual as well as have the Speer that came with the RCBS kit. In addition, I ordered the Handloader editions that have the write ups on the 338-06. I think I am set for now on reloading manuals and information on the 338-06.

I will be reloading for a new 338-06 initially, and for a .308, .223, and .45 ACP eventually. I think I'm off to a great start, but I was wondering what else I might “need.â€

Things I think I will need soon:

Digital Calipers
Case Trimmer
Case Tumbler

Who are the best suppliers?

I was wondering if there were any NJ/PA area reloaders I could network with for setting up and getting started? I know I will have few questions, so does anyone have some time for this new reloader?

Sincerely,

Thomas

Proverbs 30:7-9 (New International Version)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Posts: 16 | Location: Benton, PA | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DO you have dies. Not trying to be an horse's butt here but we all forget some of the little things. Forgot to put primers in my cases the other day what a mess. Caught it on the first one but man that would have sucked lol.. I would say get a dial or digital caliper and a 1 inch micrometer. Those are always useful. I have layman measuring tools and they have worked very well. A good supply of bullets, powder, primers, and Cases. You have a good start thought. I use Midway for alot of my reloading stuff they have always been good to me. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey there LLB!

Yes, I forgot to mention that -- I do have some RCBS dies for the 338-06.

I also need powder, brass, primers, bullets, etc. I guess I should buy the 1# can until I discover which powder my rifle likes?

One thing I noticed when reading the various reloading manuals. The powders for the 338-06 are similar from each bullet maker. I also noted the .308 uses similar powders as the 338-06. A bonus maybe.

Thanks again.

Proverbs 30:7-9 (New International Version)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Posts: 16 | Location: Benton, PA | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did your kit come with a hand held primer tool?Its alot easier to prime with than the arm on the rockchucker.You need shell holders for the calibers your going to reload for.If you get the rcbs trimmer you'll need the shell holders for that which are different that the ones the rockchucker uses.Buy hornadys one shot spray lube.Here are some reloading places.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the little things like chamfer/debur tool, primer pocket cleaner, case neck brushes, etc.