New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding vs relaods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After bedding should one start with best developed load prior to bedding. If this best load got worse after bedding should one try past loads that were not as accurate as before bedding?

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would build the load again. Well, at least check - using the load and two steps above and two below - to verify that the load still is the best.

Varying the load is to optimize the vibrations of the barrel such that the muzzle is at a node - a point of minimal movement. When you do anyting to the structure, you will affect the resonance of the system - maybe a lot, maybe not so much.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
very well said and in very few words. I'd have used a lot more words and probably said a lot less. clap

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
very well said and in very few words. I'd have used a lot more words and probably said a lot less. clap

Uh,.... yeah!!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand what you hope to find but, in this game the only certainty is, "Nothing's certain."

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
After bedding should one start with best developed load prior to bedding. If this best load got worse after bedding should one try past loads that were not as accurate as before bedding?

Yep! By bedding the action and parts of the barrel you have changed the vibration characteristics of the barrel. Start load development all over. An inch/pound reading torque wrench can help you fine tune a good bedding job and keep the setup repeatable after cleaning and disassembly.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Use your best developed load prior to bedding as a base line. After bedding fire the same load. Go from there. Most times changing bedding will not help accuracy on a hunting rifle,unless there was a problem in the first place. Free floating a barrel will help maintain point of aim.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
creating a consistent rifle creates the accurate loads. Bedding someitmes helps, presure points sometimes help, free floating sometimes helps

USUALLY bedding an unbedded rifle greatly improves accuracy.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help so far. The best group prior to pillar bedding was about 1.00 - .75. After pillar bedding this same recipe went to about 2.0''. I gues I will have to start over with load development.

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its loose ...
set you bullet -.025 off the lands, and a middle of the chart load ... and a -.030 the same.

but if the groups opened up, its loose

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
Thanks for the help so far. The best group prior to pillar bedding was about 1.00 - .75. After pillar bedding this same recipe went to about 2.0''. I gues I will have to start over with load development.

There's bedding and then there's bedding. That much of a group difference begs the question of whether it's properly done or not..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote