Find
Notify
Tools

"That round won't last"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
I see this in so many threads I just had to ask, why is this always an argument? Any rifle I own I have more brass than I could ever use up so if some factory quits making it I could care less. To me if a factory quit making a certain round, that would make my rifle even more attractive. As I would be one of the few who have one. I often see this argument brought up during ballistic comparisons. "I wouldn't buy the (insert cartridge here) because it will be gone in 5 to 10 years." Who cares? Don't most if not all of us on this forum reload anyway? Is the rifle of more value or better if 1000000 people have one? I just don't get it. End of rant.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
I'll second those thoughts! Except I usually don't stockpile that much brass. There's usually enough more common cases that brass can be formed from if it comes to that. If it's something that's nearly or completely impossible to form from something more available I'll stock up though!

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Moreover, even when brass is about to be "discontinued" there is almost always ample time to stock up before it goes dodo...

One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
If it's something I shoot more than the others I own I'll have more brass for that cal.. As a rule for myself if it's a rifle I'll stock pile 150-200 rounds of brass for it. If it's a pistol 500-1000 rounds of brass for it.Some rifles I have 500 plus rds. of brass but there mostly varmint cal.

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Some more of my favorites along the same subject:

"Nobody will be chambering that round in 5 to 10 years"

Last time I checked I already have a rifle in that caliber, or I wouldn't be talking about it would I?

"all these new wsm's and wssm's and so forth are just hogwash"

I don't own a WSM or a WSSM. But this is ridiculous. I read a story one time about a guy that was opposed to the formation of the U.S. Patent office. This was around 1900(somewhere close to there anyway). His reason? "Everything that can be invented has already been invented." Same type of logic here. If no one tried new things or attempted to try we would still be clubbing our dinner with log's, and living in cave's.

" That round won't do anything that a (insert round here) won't do."

If that's the case then why don't we just have one cartridge? I mean why bother with all the rest. Because as everyone knows I can shoot varmits at 500 yards with my 30-30, and if I hit an elephant in the head at 4 yards it will die too.

End of second rant.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with your point. You see this arguement a lot with the WSM's, WSSM's, and the Ultra Mags to some extent. I own both a 300 Ultra and soon a 375 Ultra and absolutely love the Jeffery based round...and I know I am not the only one. Even if it were to become extinct...I can't see that a company would just stop making brass for reloaders. Off the top of my head, I can't think of very many rounds that have just disappeared from a commercial existance. Maybe the 284 Win but due to the popularity of its derivatives as benchrest rounds, brass is readily available.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Ralph Wiggam said, What was the last round that was discontinued? I can't think of any in my lifetime. Least none that you can't get components for. Can anyone name any?

And whats with all the nose picking lately? First DaMan picks his nose on video, now little Ralphie!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
First DaMan picks his nose on video, now little Ralphie!

Correction..... that wasn't a video of me....that was a video of our current President picking his nose at a Ranger's game. Roll Eyes

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even if they do stop making one I own, it just creates an opportunity to get something else.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have a little different take on this. Had there been less R&D done to reinvent the wheel and more $$ spent on product improvement and QC, then we would have a MUCH better selection of factory rifles available. I imagine that most of the "that won't last" and "that isn't needed" is from older folks (like me!) who have tried almost every new round to come down the pike for the last 30-40 years and have found that the newbies don't offer anything very significant in the way of effectiveness over the "old stand-by's." I say whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't listen when I was told I could effectively hunt the world with an '06 and a 375 H&H! Should've listened, though! I woulda had more hunting time and less money wasted on finding out for myself!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACRecurve:
I have a little different take on this. Had there been less R&D done to reinvent the wheel and more $$ spent on product improvement and QC, then we would have a MUCH better selection of factory rifles available. I imagine that most of the "that won't last" and "that isn't needed" is from older folks (like me!) who have tried almost every new round to come down the pike for the last 30-40 years and have found that the newbies don't offer anything very significant in the way of effectiveness over the "old stand-by's." I say whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't listen when I was told I could effectively hunt the world with an '06 and a 375 H&H! Should've listened, though! I woulda had more hunting time and less money wasted on finding out for myself!

thumbMe Too thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't woory about cartridges that might be discontinued, I don't worry about resale value and I don't worry about popularity. I just shoot.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes use the obsolete gambit when I buy a gun. Why would you want to keep that old Snider? Nobody carries shells for it anymore.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
358 winchester...

it's simply too good to "get"...

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote