Find
Notify
Tools

New barrel - velocity change in same load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a pretty new Lilja barreled 280 Rem. 24"

When I first started loading and shooting I chronographed a 150gr ELDX at 2900 fps using IMR 4955 - this was at around 20 rounds through the barrel. I started shooting this load to explore different seating depths and found an accurate OAL. I then measured velocity again at around 90 rounds and it was about 75 fps higher, which seems too hot.

Does this change seem normal - perhaps due to barrel break in?

I clean after about every 20 rounds.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Your starting load and final are different. You changed the OAL. Pressure changes as does velocity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Many barrels have a rough factory finish that is smoothed out after the barrel break in. It's not unusual to see a velocity increase in the first 100 rounds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The changed OAL makes more sense to me than barrel break-in - unless, possibly, gilding-metal fouling was allowed to build up.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not too hot if your brass extracts easily and the primer pockets stay tight.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

Can a small (0.05" or so shorter) OAL change make that much difference?

No pressure signs that I can tell.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
.05 is fifty thousandths; that is not a small change in OAL; it is a relatively large change.
So, yes.
Fire for effect. (That is what you tell the Artillery Battery when they are on target; no more adjusting; fire the allotted number of rounds, now)

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monometal bullets seem have a greater pressure/velocity reaction to OAL changes than do conventional cup-and-core bullets.

Relatively higher velocity indicates relatively higher pressure, but only the condition of the brass after several firings will tell you if your load is running sustainable pressures. If your bolt lift is not sticky and your primer pockets stay tight, then your pressure is, by definition, acceptable.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim North at Broughton barrels(also a buttoned barrel) told me that his barrels will likely gain 50-100 fps in the first hundred rounds of shooting. I have found this to be true on average.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies.

I will stick with the current load, which hits around 2950-2975fps.

It's at 56grs. of IMR 4955, which is 0.5 grains more than the max listed on the Hodgdon website for 150 gr partitions @ 58,700 psi, although the velocity listed is 2776 fps (quite a bit slower).

From all that I can gather on the web, and the behavior of my rifle the load seems to be max or close to, but safe. Velocity spread is low and the load is accurate.

David

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
each barrel is a law unto itself --

you should NEVER use max loads from one to another --

and yes, i always expect vel differences, barrel to barrel, and OAL difference as well ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote