THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Thanks for replys on bullet drop! need velocity help?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for replys on bullet drop! need velocity help?
 Login/Join

<shaydorosh@sk.sympatico.c>
posted
Replys are as I expected that my 30-378 is only going 3050-3100fps.same as brothers 300win mag . If sighted in 4.00 high at 100 yards for a velocity of 3500 with 165 nosler ballistic tips BC.475 where will bullet hit at 400 and 500 yards. please post this is my way of using poor mans chronograph! Thanks

<gunboat>
posted
If:
muzzle velocity is 3500 fps,
bullet is 165 gr, BC .475,
4 inches high at 100 yds,
Scope is 1 inch above bore centerline,

Then:
zero is at 370 yards,
bullet is 2.3 inches low at 400 yds
bullet is 13.5 inches low at 500 yds

Note:
The height of the scope above the bore centerline will make a difference. I assumed 1 inch. What is it really for your rifle?

<Umebo>
posted
Check out normas homepage www.norma.cc, they have a free ballistic program there which should be able to answer similar questions.

/M

<shaydorosh@sk.sympatico.c>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by shaydorosh@sk.sympatico.c:
Replys are as I expected that my 30-378 is only going 3050-3100fps.same as brothers 300win mag . If sighted in 4.00 high at 100 yards for a velocity of 3500 with 165 nosler ballistic tips BC.475 where will bullet hit at 400 and 500 yards. please post this is my way of using poor mans chronograph! Thanks

Gunboat or whoever I need to know how to measure my scope height to further this question I shoot a TRG-S Sako with high rings for a bauch and lomb 5-15x50mm!

<gunboat>
posted
What you need to do is use a ruler, or what have you, and measure from the center of your scope down to the center of the bore. I know you can't get a precise measurement, but just get a good estimate of the distance.

Then you can plug all the info into the program that Umebo mentioned in his post. That's the ballistic program I use.