New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 max data from Nosler
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've loaded based on this info, and was told by some the loads were way under max load specs, so i thought I'd share the info.

Posts: 66 | Location: Charlottesville | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've loaded based on this info, and was told by some the loads were way under max load specs, so i thought I'd share the info.

<photo deleted for courtesy sake>

Please define "some". Paul?

However, the data does "disagree" with that printed by other bullet manufacturers. I think the reason has something to do with bearing surface and seating depth in the case of the respective bullets.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The some I'm refering to is other loading data. The lyman books state the warning about reduced loads for the 296 powder on every page that 296 is listed, they don't give any data for the max.
The winchester literature also warns against reduced loads. I'm wondering if the definition of reduced load is any load that dosen't almost fill the cartridge where the 296 is concerned?
I'm trying to stay with whats printed/ published.

Posts: 66 | Location: Charlottesville | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Quickload shows the max 296 180gn load to be just under 30ksi with a saami max of 48ksi. This is just a computer simulation, but it does look like there is room for 2-3 more gns of 296 in the same load and still keep it safe.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vance,

I may be missing something, but I keep looking for the primer they used in these loads and I still don't see any mention of primers.

Quote:

180gr. FPJ
H110 16.0 1405 18.5 1494 31,150
W296 15.5 1375 18.0 1409 30,550

This information is from http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/360loads.htm
These are .360 DW loads that are higher than the Nosler .357 Max loads. Something just isn't right about the Nosler data.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Vance,

I think we're talking across each other. H110/W296 should not be loaded with loads smaller than 10% below max. I've read where some manuals (though I don't know which manuals) have been quoted as saying 3% less than the max. That is why I say that H110/W296 is pretty critical with concern to powder charges.

Now, loading density or how much the powder fills the available case space, may or may not be a part of this. I've never bothered to measure the volume of the powder charges. You can easily get an idea of the various volumes in relation to powder charge weights from the Lee powder dipper chart. That is in cubic centimeters (cc) and I can't immediately recall a source of case capacity in cc.

Staying with published data and carefully observing the results in your gun(s) is the best way of understanding the various powders.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Nosler data has never inspired confidence. I've noted some real discrepencies in either max charge weights (compared to other manuals) and velocities and actual results. Hornady is usually very close as is Hogdon. Yep, I'm talking about using the exact load, primer, charge, bullet and case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the Nosler data. It has however been good for the .41 mag round. It has produced the best accuracy in my redhawk and lever action marlin.

I've settled on my hunting load for the max. (for now) it is

180 gr xtp over 18.5 gr of w296.

I test some speer 158gr fmj sil bullets with some promise being.

I try to follow the recipes to the letter. Jot & tittle.

vance