Find
Notify
Tools

forming 250 Savage from 22/250
 Login/Join

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Greetings, I am new here.

I have a 250 savage that I intend on reloading for. Can I use 22/250 brass and run it through my FL die? Would save me a ton of money as I can get 22/250 locally, no shipping or small order charges to worry about. Looks to me that my only worries would be trimming and whether the shoulder will iron out ok (slightly different angles).
What kind of case life will I get? any ideas of other problems I might run into? This will be the first time I didn't use factory standard brass.

Thanks,
CAL9

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal: I see no reason at all that this project should not work well. Since the 250 Savage is the "Parent" case for the 22-250 it should be an easy job to make one from the other.

Just be sure to lube your case necks well and push them over the expander ball in the neck rather slowly.

Once formed, you should get the same case life as any other brass.

I might make my first loading of these new cases a mild one in order to fireform the cases to your chamber, after that, go for it!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
If you use the tapered expander from Redding, the process will go smoothly. Another thing that happes is an occasional spit neck, but if you anneal the case necks that won't happen very often. There is brass availible at both of the gunshows in Fargo from Jim Kamrath, if not how many rounds do you need, I have some extra stashed in the shop.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it in stages go to 6mm (243) first then up to 257, inside lub the cases well and use tapered expander buttons or better yet get a tapered pin from RCBS and you won't get any lopsided cases or split necks.

A better alternative is to buy a hundred 250 cases for $30.00 from Huntingtons..They still have them...You should stock pile them as they are going to get rare, very soon...I have a couple of thousand.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41945 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote