New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Wear
 Login/Join

<6.5 Guy>
posted
I've been lurking here quite a while, and really respect some of the posters' knowledge. This seems to be one of the more informed groups of reloaders on the web. I would appreciate thoughts on the following topic, especially in regards to my specific situation.

Last spring I purchased a Ruger Model 77 MK II in .264 Win Mag caliber. I have experimented a lot with powder/bullet combinations, and have come up with two loads that perform the best. They are:

77 gr H870, 140 gr. Barnes XLC, 3,205 fps

68 gr RE22, 120 gr. Barnes XLC, 3,380 fps

Both loads are suitably accurate for big game. The 140 gr load is averaging 1.8", 3 shot 200 yard groups, the 120 gr load is averaging 1.6", 3 shot 200 yard groups.

My question is, will burning the 9 extra grains of slower burning (and dirtier, it seems) powder for the heavier bullet wear out my throat area noticeably more quickly? I can't seem to get good velocities with the heavier bullet using faster burning powders, but like the idea of using 140 grain bullets for elk.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You might consider the 140 Sierra HPBT on top of 73 grains of H-870 and WLR primers. I get 3132 fps out of an old Model 70, and it maintains better than 3/4", 5-shot groups at 200-yards.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted

I don't know a lot about that cartridge, but I'd be surprised if it mattered a whole lot.

Don

<Kerry.S>
posted
Here are some general rules on barrel life and throat life
In general the smaller the diameter the faster the wear with everything else being equal. also higher velocity, more powder, more shots per minute, And heavier bullets will all lead to faster barrel wear with everything else being equal. And these are general rules that have exceptions. you only have a difference of 175 fps and 20 grains you'll have more wear from shooting to many shots in to little time you won't see a difference. There are to many other things that can make a barrel wear out then a minor change in bullet weight to be concerned with. To give you an example take a .257 wby mag shoot five shots of a hot load through it with little time between shots and you may as well stop at the gunsmith and get it rebarreled because you just burned up the throat, that barrel is toast. but given enough time between shots and the barrel could out last you.
Kerry

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt

[This message has been edited by Kerry.S (edited 12-16-2001).]

<Reloader66>
posted
Fact: the more powder burned, clean or dirty, the faster your bore will go away. Your partiucular cartridge is a known barrel eater. Large volumes of spent powder going through that small bore diameter is the reason. Example: a 243 bore will not last as long as a 308 bore. Both cartridges are from the same case. If your primary use of the rifle is hunting on a yearly basis the bore will last along time, about 1500 to 2500 rounds. If you use the rifle often, then you will be changing the barrel often. I would shoot the 120 gr. bullet with the lesser powder charge to get maximum barrel life.

<PaulS>
posted
Ask yourself this question:

How long will it take me to fire 5000 rounds through my rifle?

If it matters more to make the barrel last an extra 6 to 13% longer by worrying about load differences then go with modifying your load. If it is better for you to shoot the load that you trust more and risk the wear then do that! I would take longer than my lifetime to shoot the barrel out of that gun and so I would go with the load that I trusted more to get the job done - One shot one kill will make the barrel last twice as long as two shots per kill!

PaulS