New
Find
Notify
Tools

SURPLUS POWDER
 Login/Join

<toto>
posted
Has anyone had any experience with wc872, wc860, or wc852, and other surplus powders. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought 32 pounds of 852. Mine loads like W-760. Works great, it is my standard Garand powder. 852 come in two speeds, fast and slow. Do work up your own loads with YOUR own batch of powder.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using WC820 for years in the mag. pistols. The last couple of 8# batches have duplicated H110/W296. I have also used WC852, 860 and IMR 5010. The last two are fun in the very large cases and very reasonably priced.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
I've been using WC-852 and also find it to be fine Garand food, as well as yielding some good hunting loads in .308 Winchester.
The batch I purchased is loading the same as the data shown for H-380.

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

<Powderman>
posted
I'm currently working my way through a keg of pulled down IMR 4895. Great stuff--I'm using 42.0 under a 150 grain FMJBT, and Federal Match primers, in the .308. Crimped sort of tight with a Lee Factory Crimp die. At 100 yards, I'm shooting some wicked groups, less than 1/2", from my M1A. Oddly enough, though, in this rifle the 175 grain Match King doesn't seem to work too well.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

<BMG>
posted
Ahhhh, wc872, wc860, IMR 5010, & IMR 4895. I've got a lot of it and it works great. In a BMG the wc's & 5010 work great at 220gr of any of the three. I use the 4895 for smallbore stuff (.458 and under ;-}) and it works well, especially .223 tracers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Where is a source that I can buy surplus powder, specifically wc872 & wc860? I'm going to build A .30-416 and need a supply of the super slow burners. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
<BLH>
posted
Absolutely, use WC 680 and WC 820, they are wonderful powders. Any application for H-110, Win 296 or 1680 is equally good for these powders and at about 8 bucks a pound, go figure.
Brooks

<txhunter>
posted
DavidReed

Bartlet Reloaders has what you need.
http://www.gibrass.com/index.html

<toto>
posted
I ordered 32 lb of 872,860,852and 846. Checked all the different sites and Hi Tech ammunition had the best price. fws

------------------
FWS

<Chainsaw>
posted
Another source for surplus powder is ;

www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.htm

------------------
"�and I believe further, that [our new Constitutional government] is likely
to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in
despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become
so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other."

-from Benjamin Franklin's speech upon signing the Constitution.---------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, next question, I have an 8# bottle of wc 844 from hi tech. I would like to use this to load for my m-1 garand with 150 gr. core-lokts. It is supposed to reference to hodgdon's 335 or AA 2230. Both are right in the neighborhood of 4895 for a burning rate. Hodgdond book lists 50 grains as the top load, reduced by 10% to start.

Would this produce the correct gas port pressure to avoid problems with the opperating rod? They would make nice inexpensive plinking/national defense rounds, in case ol' bin ladden comes over here.

On another note, in case someone else hasn't posted it already go to http://www.fieler.com and vent your anger at bin laden by shooting the chit outa him!

------------------
if you run, you just die tired

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, let me answer my own question. I tryed the above combination using the WC 844 at 49.0 grains with the rem 150 pcl and r-p and winchester cases, wlrp. They functioned smoothly and shot as good as I can see. Powder appears to have just the right burn rate for the garand.

------------------

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EEEEEEkkk!!!

844 is fast, with my batch 49 grains would take the rifle apart. As I recall it took a load in the high 30's to get the rifle to function. One grain more blew primers. My batch is not suited to garands. Too fast. Be carefull. My 844 is ok for 223 but a bit fast for that even. 846 was similar to 4895 but, did not perform in the 3006. Got some amazing muzzle flashes though. 4895 is the ticket here. 852 is a dandy Garand powder. Mine loads like 760. Use it for high power match loads. It is also a good 308 powder for bolt guns. A case full and a 150 grain bullet is a good hunting load

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
.....I've begun to wonder whether some of the salvaged surplus powder is not being misidentified when it's being packed for civilian sale. On all the reloading subs, there is a continuing warning from users that their particular powder is, in my language, in an entirely different burning-speed than the identification and data furnished by the surplus dealer.

Non-cannistered powders DO vary from the tight civilian standards, but not that much.

Paladin

<txhunter>
posted
Hodgdon uses or used surplus powder that they sold as h870. I believe that Saeed had some off this powder when working with his 338x404. http://www.accuratereloading.com/338-404jeff.html His loads were at 104.0gr and 2949 when he went to a different lot and started @ 90gr and 3111fps. I don't know what you consider a lot of variation, but a drop of 14grs and an increase of 162fps. Thats a lot of variation in my book!

As to whether surplus if misidentified, It would happen after the military has sold it. They destroy thousands of pounds of unidentifiable powder every year. Their standards as to whether is will be sold or not comes from a safety stand point, nothing else.

[This message has been edited by txhunter (edited 10-23-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scot, some further explanation seems warrented here. I had been useing my batch of WC 844 in several other instances, 7-08 with 120 gr vmax and 7x30 waters. It behaved exactly like H335 in both cases. I got it from hi-tech a couple yrs. ago.

Im my garand it seemed like it could use some more powder. I will check the ones I loaded over the chrono next time I go to the range. Pressure seems moderate at 49.0.

I also got some WC 860 at the same time. My batch has a few chunks of stick powder mixed in with the ball powder. I tried this in my .280 ruger with 150 corelockt's They went bang, and were even moderately accurate. Pressure was very mild, I suspect a lot of unburned powder present.

Also to fill the 4 jug box I got a jug of WC 820 that's supposed to be used as H 110 or 296. It works great in my 44 mag and a friends 454 casull.

------------------