New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIGHT LOADS...TRAIL BOSS VERSUS BLUE DOT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I have managed to load 7 calibers with TB with more on the way...I used Blue Dot for my 221 FB and 223 REM. It looks like trail boss does the job for low-end loads, my son and I have successfully shot Squirrels, Crows, Foxes with these loads. Plan on taking a few coyotes as well. I didn't trust Blue Dot for my son, but Trail Boss has been a pleasure, aside from the acrid smell. What do the experts have to say on this debate? I would love to learn more.

TB for

223 REM
221 FB
17 FB
17 AH
17 Tactical
20 Tactical
450-400

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have successfully used TB to fire-form loads for 17 AH and 17 Tactical as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what (I suppose) the author of Quickload wrote in a German hunting forum:

Trailboss data will not be available (in QL) because it's behaviour is abnormal with full cases. With cases filled between 1/2 until 4/5 of their capacity it behaves normally, above that, the pressure increases disproportionally, not into the area of overpressure, however considerably.

I consider that this does confirm though that even a full case of TB is safe.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used TB for ultra low velocity loads.
I agree, the smell is something else though.
Blue Dot is a great intermediary powder for light loads before full toss slow burning stuff comes in.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing negative about trail boss. I have experimented with it but kinda went "ok" and moved on. To me, it performed as advertised, but, without any particular distinction.

That said, don't forget SR-4759. In my older speer handbooks, I have SR-4759 loads for every rifle caliber. In my Lyman 49 I have loads for all calibers with Cast Lead bullets. It has proved very accurate and very predictable in many of my calibers.

I too like the blue dot (especially accurate in my 308 with a 110 grain carbine bullet).

Glad to hear about your success with the Trail Boss. I will go back to it again.

My 2 cents... rc

posted Hide Post
I am in the process of trying to find some Trail Boss as well as Blue Dot for reduced loads for a youth 223. I tried the H4895 reduced loads and they were ok, but they left alot of powder in the barrel and I would still like to get the report down some.
The reason I am doing them is so my son can get alot of range time in and get use to the same gun. I can gradually work the loads up as he grows.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just feel safer using TB for my son's light loads than Blue Dot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used Unique for most of my reduced loads.

But I tried Trail Boss in .30-30 with .310" 165gr. LFP bullets and it gives very good accuracy at 100 yards.

I can see why it's popular with Cowboy Action shooters.

I haven't tried Trail Boss with jacketed bullets yet. But I think I'll give it a try.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I've been told not to use BD in any 17 cal ammo.
Hope this helps it did for me.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't think trailboss will FIT in a 17 neck

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff i've used it in 17 ackley hornet, 17 squirrel, 17 tactical and 17 FB. it does work and shoots good, bullets from 15gr to 32gr.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I have used is jacketed bullets, so far so good. I think it makes excellent sense for practice loads in big cals like .404 jeff and .500 jeff.

quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
I've always used Unique for most of my reduced loads.

But I tried Trail Boss in .30-30 with .310" 165gr. LFP bullets and it gives very good accuracy at 100 yards.

I can see why it's popular with Cowboy Action shooters.

I haven't tried Trail Boss with jacketed bullets yet. But I think I'll give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eurocentric:
I just feel safer using TB for my son's light loads than Blue Dot.
Any sane person would too. thumb

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had tried BD in my 17 fireball, groups were not great so I stopped using it. Got much better performance in my 221 Fireball.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob from down under:
I've been told not to use BD in any 17 cal ammo.
Hope this helps it did for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for good cast bullet loads for my 257 Roberts.

I called Hodgdon,and talked with a tech. He said for low-powered loads with Trail Boss, fill a bottleneck case to the neck/shoulder junction. That is your 100% mark. That is your maximum charge. Do not exceed!

Weigh the charge, and determine what 70% of the maximun charge is. That is your starting load, and anything between 70 and 100%, as determined by your measurements should be a workable range.

He also told me that Trail Boss does not like to be compressed, so be aware of whether your bullet seating depth compresses the charge, and adjust accordingly.

It will work for both jacketed and cast bullets.

I believe I understood him correctly, but verify for yourself, start at the minimum load, and work carefully up.

I plan to try that just as soon as I finish experimenting with 4895,(For which Hodgdon also publishes reduced load information.) Unique, and 2400.

Good luck! Smiler

I don't use Blue Dot anymore, since the warning. It's a good powder, but when I ran out, I just didn't buy more.

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote