New
Find
Notify
Tools

338WIN MAG loads
 Login/Join

<Jeff Myhre>
posted
I just got my 338 back today.Had a new Pac-Nor barrel put on it, new laminated birch thumbhole stock, action blueprinted and pillar bedded. I was going to break it in with 220gr. Nosler ballistic tips, Winchester brass, Federal 215 primers, and maybe some IMR 4350 powder, probably 1 1/2 to 2grs. under max. Does anybody have anygood loads for this awesome beast of a cartridge? Thanks in advance Jeff Myhre

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your rifle! The .338 is such a nice cartridge (that's what I use, of course).

Have you looked at the "Reloading Pages?"

http://www.accuratereloading.com/reload.html

As you may know, factory loads are usually within safe pressure levels, and have moderate speeds. However, some could be very accurate. I wonder if I would save some cash by testing the rifle with an accurate factory load (using a chronograph) and recording the data? Then I would try to duplicate the factory load with my handloads, and maybe make it more accurate.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 05-26-2001).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jeff Myhre>
posted
I meant 200gr. Nosler ballistic tips, not 220gr. Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
try 75 grains of r19 and a 210 grain nosler, fed 215m and winchester brass.great elk/deer load. very accurate.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Jeff,
I have used the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with only 68 grains of IMR 4350 in Federal Brass with F215 primer to duplicate the trajectory of the 165 grain .308 pretty closely. This was in a 24" barreled Boss equipped Winchester M-70. I shot targets out to 1000 yards using a Springfield Armory scope with the range finding reticle. Velocity was about 2680 fps, gentle, and a super accurate long range deer or varmint load.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB