New
Find
Notify
Tools

Closer to the edge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With my 6mm rem I'm using data that is higher pressure than I'm used to with my 6.5x55 and 7x57.

Does 3,225fps from a 90gr ballistic tip and 46.5gr VVN160 with WLR and remington brass sound reasonable? The load is very accurate (fluke .8" at 200yards!) chronos most consistant by a big margin, has soot to the base of the neck and primers which have flattened but retain radius at the edge with no cratering.

Previously I've allways tried to load conservatively agreeing with the VV advice that to "reduce charge weight by 5% from max reduces pressure by 10% but velocity only by 3%". Trouble is this rifle shoots best half a grain off the Nosler maximum!.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best way to tell if you're load is "hot" is to let the case tell you.......if you can't load the same case at least 4 times without the primer pocket getting noticeably loose, the load should be backed off.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894: Your load and the description of the condition of your brass sounds fine to me. As DB Bill says, if your primer pockets don't begin to enlarge, then this load is fine. You didn't mention if there is any hesitancy in bolt lift, but assuming there's not then all appears well. As best I recall, some 90 grain Remington factory loads went higher in velocity out of my old .244 (with 26" barrel) than your loads, so you seem to be well within parameters.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Should be no problem...

N-160 From 43.0 grains to 47.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote