Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Savage
 Login/Join

posted
Need a small base sizing die for 300 Savage. Nobody seems to stock them any more.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Question for all.

If you only need to bump the shoulder take some metal off of the shell holder?

option 2

Can you squeeze the case with a Small base 308 die?

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Is this for making them feed in a tight chamber? If so try sizing with a different shell holder and adjust the die so you actually get just a tad of resistance from the die touching the shell holder for maximum squeeze. I had a really tight 308 chamber and that did the trick. Never had another problem with it again.
Otherwise I think your best bet might be a custom C/H die or Flea-Bay.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question, if removing metal off a shell holder, do you remove it from the top where it touches the die or the bottom, where it seats in the ram?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Grinch:
Question, if removing metal off a shell holder, do you remove it from the top where it touches the die or the bottom, where it seats in the ram?

I don't think that would matter but the top would be much easier.

Things are getting confused! He wants a SMALL BASE sizing die . That has nothing to do with the case shoulder.

Oldcodger---I have one in .308 if you could use that and if you are interested.

Hip

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
300 Savage brass is hard to come by so am trying to size and trim 308 Winchester to make 300 Savage. It works most of the time but for 20 cases about 25% will not chamber after sizing. About 25% will chamber but with extra effort on the closing lever (Savage Model 99). If I load those that will chamber a couple of them will stick and can't extract with the lever. A gentle poke with a cleaning rod down the bore will dislodge them. These are either starting or middle of the range powder charges, nothing even close to max charges. The Model 99 does not have good extraction force, so any case which gives any resistance may be a problem. I think a small base die would probably cure the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shell holders are cheap! Take a couple of thousands off the top of one and try that. Not much of a loss if it doesn't work.

Hip

Posts: 1826 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thinking about this a little more!

Take a resized and trimmed .308 case that won't or is hard to chamber and cut the shoulder/neck part of it off, resize it (to make sure it wasn't distorted during cutting) and see if it will easily chamber. If it does you know that the problem is in the headspace or OAL case length and not the base diameter.
You can also try retrimming and also resizing (sometimes the brass bounces back).

Hip

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need the cases to go further into the regular resizing die -- not squeeze the rear of the body smaller. As has bee suggested, just grind a few 1/000ths off of the top surface of your shell holder so that when it bumps against the die bottom the case will be inserted a bit further.

"Small Base" dies are rarely needed and can give you hell getting cases stuck in them. Besides, if the problem is base-to-shoulder dimension then the SB dies won't necessarily solve the problem.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the shell holder actually touching the die with a shell inserted?
or did you just screw the die in to touching and go with that?

if you did that another quarter-half turn will take care of the issue.
and giving the brass a 3-4 Mississippi count in the die will let the brass have time to flow and move around in it's new format.

Posts: 4974 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A RCBS guy advised me that all 300 Savage and 308 dies are indeed small base..I never questioned it, but ever 308 die I've owned and that's quite a number worked perfect in my 99 Savages. ??

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldcodger:
300 Savage brass is hard to come by so am trying to size and trim 308 Winchester to make 300 Savage.

I think some of the posters missed this critical point. I've done the exact same thing using LC Match brass and had a similar experience to the OP in my 99. All of the rounds would chambers but some required a bit of effort to close the lever (although they extracted fine once fired). I picked up a small base die and re-sized all of the empty brass and didn't have any further problems.

I believe that the issue is that 300 Savage is not only shorter than 308, it also has more body taper (specs for 300 Savage are .4466 at the shoulder while .308 is .4540) and at least in my case I'm pretty sure the problem was spring back in the brass at the shoulder. But since the small base die took care of my problem I assume it is smaller in all dimensions and not just at the base. I have used my 'regular' Redding sizing die for subsequent reloadings without any problems.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by belaw:
quote:
Originally posted by oldcodger:
300 Savage brass is hard to come by so am trying to size and trim 308 Winchester to make 300 Savage.

I think some of the posters missed this critical point.

The posters didn't miss the critical point, the OP only made it five posts after his initial post. Would have been helpful to have this critical point made first up.

Posts: 3856 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Using reformed PPU 308 brass I can not go above 39 grains or I get sticky extraction. Just can't get even close to RP 150 gr CoreLok (1614 fps). Best I can do with the PPU cases is about 2400 fps. (39 gr. IMR 4064 with Hornady 150 gr. SST bullets).
I took 5 cases of the reformed PPU cases and 5 cases of RP 300 Savage cases and made some measurements:
The PPU cases hold an average of 50.5 gr. of water.
The RP 300 Savage cases hold an average of 52.2 gr. of water.
RP cases hold 1.7 gr. more water.

The average weight of the PPU cases was 175.5 gr.
The average weight of the RP cases was 158.2.
The PPU cases weigh an average of 17.3 gr. heavier than the RP cases.

Would these differences in case volume and weight explain the behavior of the PPU cases showing earlier than expected pressure signs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes!

I have used PPU cases for fouling shots which are a little lighter than my regular loads and still I have gotten slightly stuck cases in my chamber. Had to load even lighter to even use them and in some instances I just don't want to fuss around any more.

Load lighter and work up as needed!

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes.
less case volume is like having a smaller than 300 savage case.
so of course the pressure will be higher.

you might need to switch to a different powder to get the other fps without stressing the pressure window.

Posts: 4974 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote