New
Find
Notify
Tools

excessive pressure?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AFTER SHOOTING MY 7 MM WEATHER MAG. WITH NOSLER'S RECOMMENDED LOADS WHEN USING RL22 AND A 140 PARTITION,WHICH SHOWED MAX. LOAD AT 73.5 GR.,I NOTICE FLATTENED PRIMERS AND EJECTOR MARKS ON MY CASE HEADS STARTING AT 70 GRAINS.AM I ALREADY SHOWING SIGNS OF HIGH PRESSURE?WHAT IS THIS I AM HEARING ABOUT EXCESSIVE PRESSURES BEING COMMON WHEN USING RL22?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a bad lot of RL22 that made it into the stores. Yours may have come from that lot. Alliant is exchanging out any that are in the hands of reloaders. I believe that there is a whole thread devoted to that topic on the board.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Check the Lot Number on the side of your can. There was a Lot of RL22 that burned about 6% faster then it was suppose to (similar to RL19), I will know the number when I see it.

Alliant had a recall and replaced powder for anyone with it.

Remember, a max load is just that in a manual, most of the time they will be within safe pressure limits, however at times you can get a little hairy with them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a discussion at www.benchrest.com about RL22.....it is back a few days but worthwlile to check. I had some and Aliant sent me some new stuff and suggested I get rid of what I had. They don't call it a recall but ......

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're seeing ejector marks, then you've got excessive pressure. I agree that the RL 22 is suspect. Alliant apparently either mislabelled some RL 19 or let a batch of non-spec 22 get out on them.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BILL,THE BESTTHAT I CAN READ ABOUT THE LOT NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF THE CAN SINCE IT IS SMEARED IS LOT #25046.DOES THIS SOUND LIKE IT COULD BE THE NUMBER?THE EJECTOR MARKS THAT I SAID SHOWED ON THE CASE HEADS WERE VERY LIGHT,BUT I HAVE HEARED THIS CAN BE A SIGN OF HIGH PRESSURE.I CHECKED SOME OF MY EARLIER WEATHERBY FACTORY LOADS SPENT CASES AND SOME OF THEM ALSO SHOW EJECTOR MARKS AND FLATTENED PRIMERS.WHAT GIVES?

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
25046 is a safe lot, I am loading it right now without problems.

What type of guns are you loading it in? Are you checking the velocity? Who's brass are you using?

<Odessa>
posted
Is your bullet seated deeply enough. If it is touching the lands you will get high pressure with a less than max load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
25046 is a safe lot, I am loading it right now without problems.

What type of guns are you loading it in? Are you checking the velocity? Who's brass are you using?

I AM LOADING IT IN A WEATHERBY ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT ACCUMARK CHAMBERED IN 7MM WEATHER MAG.I HAVE NOT CHECKED VELOCITY.I AM USING BOTH NORMA BRASS AND FEDERAL NICKLE PLATED.BY THE WAY,I CALLED ALLIANT AND TALKED WITH A TECHNITION ABOUT HEARING OF A BAD BATCH OF RL22.I HAVE 1 POUND OF THE LOT NUMBER I HAVE USED AND 3 POUNDS OF THE LOT NUMBER THAT WAS BAD UNOPENED.HE SAID BOTH LOT NUMBERS WERE WITHIN SAAMI STANDARDS BUT WERE A LITTLE HOTTER BY THEIRS.HE TOOK MY NAME AND ADDRESS AND SAID HE WOULD SHIP ME 4 POUNDS OF A NEW LOT # WITHIN A WEEK.I THINK THAT IS MIGHTY GOOD JUDGEMENT ON THEIR PART TO MAKE SURE THEIR CONSUMERS ARE SAFE AND HAPPY.DON'T YOU?I KNOW I WILL DO BUSINESS WITH THEM AGAIN!

<Dan in Wa>
posted
I have seen Weab. chambers cut way to deep in Winchester M70's. Shoulders moved forward .100! Also showed signs of high presures. One in .270 Weab. had a out of round chamber as well. Good old American craftmanship.

<Bill>
posted
sll,

I am glad they squared away the powder situation. They replaced 5 lbs for me, then I orderedd more that turned out to be the bad lot and they replaced that as well. Alliant is top notch in my book.

I am currently loading for 3 Weatherby Mark V's. It has been my experince that the action can take quite a bit.

Only once have I ever had trouble opening the bolt, flattened primers and the shiny brass. That was on my 340 Wby, I switch bullets and kept the rest of the load the same.

I had a couple theory's about what could be going on in your rifle, don't know how good they are though.

(1)Like Odessa said, if the bullet is touching the lands, in my Outfitter Custom 7mm Rem the throst is very, very short, more so then most bolt action rifles, and unlike the other two wby's I own. Having the round engage the rifling prematurely could contribute to increased pressures, maybe you could try to determine how far the bullet is from engaging the rifling.

(2)If you are using the Federal Nickel case it may (again this is a shot in the dark) have a smaller case capacity then the wby brass leading to the high pressure.

(3)I have noticed that if you get solvent into you chamber, the case seems to 'slip' more then normal and give somtimes incorrect readings of overpressure. (I noticed this on a friends 300 WSM)