THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Primer Powder availability location participation census

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Powder availability location participation census
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Attention ALL AR members ; I would like to conduct an informal availability census on reloading components

and would sincerely appreciate as many people participating as possible .

Powder and Primers being the main focus as bullets are for the most part readily available from normal

sources . When Posting please give a location ( Don't need addresses or even the towns just general

locations will suffice. A state would be helpful or at least a region .

( Example northern Minn. Win primers LR SR ditto on

pistol sparse on Remington no Federal haven't seen any H 322 or IMR 4895 )

P S ; I'm now wearing my dam eyeglasses and can actually READ Clearly what you post !.

Thanks in Advance ; Doc ... archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In central California you will find a real erratic supply system for reloading components over the last year or so.

Primers used to be non existant, period. However, over the last few months there are sporadic supplies. Interestingly enough, when found, primers are available in one brand only.
That is, a store may have a plentifull supply of Remingtons, but nothing else. Another store may have plenty of CCI's but nothing else. Yet another store 75 miles away may have a good stock of Federals. Go figure.

Powder has gotten pretty bleak around here. Again, really sporadic. IMR 4350 is virtually unavailable around here, has been for about a year. Same thing with IMR 4831 and H 4895. A friend has been looking for Benchmark for a long time now.

Not pertinent to your question, but even large powder suppliers out of state are having trouble supplying product. I tried to buy some IMR 4831 and H 4895 from Powder Valley and they had none, of any container size.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks : R Flowers ; This is why I've been asking when others post about powders primers an such .

As I to have found that to be similar in Southern CA.. Whenever I inquire to Powder Valley it's NO STOCK .

I may need to make a road trip shortly and visit friends in several states , purchasing as I drive .

That way I won't be hording or depleting local supplies . I really don't want to but I don't want to burn

all my match primers either .

I wish others would post as it's helpful to net work especially for a common cause and not just MY cause

as it eventually affects all of us who shoot !. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Primers in Great Falls, MT are pretty much all available in one form or another. Most common are CCI and Rem. Federal are hard to get but not impossible. $35-50 per 1000

Powders (common powder) are all pretty much available. $18.99-25/lb

I believe the same can be said for most of the MT stores.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Southern Missouri has no LR or LRM. In the St. Louis area there are some here and there. Powder is a tough one to answer but for me I havn't seen any Varget or H4831SC in months.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
NE Iowa....

If you like WLR and Win 209's, they're around. My
rifles like Rem primers, while my Savage 10MLII
likes CCI 209M's.

Haven't seen Varget for months, but have gotten
H4831SC whenever needed, as well as H4350. Most
of the Alliant rifle powders are on the shelf.

So, how's that "hope & change" working out
for you? shocker

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
houston

primers - everything but federals
pwoder - everyting
bullets - got em
loaded ammo
22 - yes
357/9/40/45 - doddgy, but can find

223 and 7.62x39 -- in every walmart

all the powders i use are here

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Western Canada, specificaly Alberta. All powders available most about $35.00 per pound. Federal primers none haven't been any for 3 years, Some Rem. Some CCI. Some Win.Primers always over $45.00 per 1000
22 good selection always over 24.00 per brick.
Loaded ammo lots, but very pricy relative to the USA.
Regards Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here in the Springs this weekend I found a few powders: RL 17, 19 and 22, a couple of the VV powders and a few Ramshot powders. NO hodgdon or IMR powders I was looking for. PRimers included CCI 200, 400, and 450. I also saw some Federal small rifle promers. Bullets are available for most everything but 308 caliber and other calibers are spotty for a specific bullet i.e. you might find AccuBonds but no Partitions for say 7mm, etc.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in KC, most everything is readily available except Re15 which is sporadic and Federal 210 primers. Since Hodgdon is here, all of their stuff is available including 8lb kegs of Varget.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Tazman1602
posted Hide Post
Northern Michigan about 25 miles south of the northern tip of the lower peninsula. We can still get *some* powders. 2400 is non-existant and primers are no more. We've got several fairly large sporting goods places within driving distance but you can FORGET about primers unless you need 209 shotgun primers.

Some small rifle comes in from time to time but all others aren't available.

The reloading section of my favorite store, a fairly large one where I can normally get whatever primers/powders I need has been WIPED CLEAN for six months. Every time an order comes in from what the guys tell me it goes right back out the door.

Drive me nuts!

Art

Posts: 19 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm now wearing my dam eyeglasses and can actually READ Clearly what you post !.
Good for you!!! Big Grin

I was in a Gun Shop in North Central KY(Carrollton) a few weeks ago and they had everything a person needs to Reload on the shelf. Powder was maybe $24/# for Hodgdon. Do not remember other prices, but if the thread is still alive next week, I'll be there again.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core ; Yes it is good to see clearly up close . Never wore glasses except Ray Ban Aviators .Always

had 20/10 vision up until 2 years back . Now my arm isn't long enough or my eyes can't focus for small

print at that distance ?. I can Still see a gnats ass at 100 meters and well beyond .

Noticed the problem while using open sights , I could find the barrel blade but receiver sight was

blurry . So now I have blended focal lens for shooting and reading glasses for Yea .

Also for Seeing who's swearing at me , on some web sites for my colorful reply's !. clap

As Roger has always said ; Old age is a hell of a price to pay for maturity !.

CRYBABY

I would like to keep this thread running for a week or better so more AR members can post input .

Might give us all a little more insight as to why some areas seem less effected than others , just a

thought .

archer archer archer

posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone,

Raleigh, NC gun show had all brands of powder with IMR 4350, etc. going for $22 to $25, jugs $150. There were several booths with Win LR primters for $33. some CCI and Federal.

Still very little bullet seclection imho, with Nosler stuff going for $19 that you get for $15 online.

The entrance to the show had a picture of the 2009 Gun Salesman of the year...our president.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wake Forest, NC | Registered: 20 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Alabama, we have never had a problem with powder. I have found it in Tuscaloosa (ROLL TIDE) and Birmingham in pretty much anything I wanted (even Varget) and prices range from $19 to $24 per lb. The 8 lb kegs are available in most of the really popular stuff.

Primers have been kinds hard to find up until a few weeks ago. My favorite store had a 3000 per purchase up until two weeks ago. They now have All the Federal primers, from small pistol to mag rifle. most of the Winchesters and CCIs with only a small selection of Remingtons. They have Rem 7 1/2 BR and 1 1/2 SP, and that it for Remington. Most all the primers are running on average $35 per 1000, some a little more, some a little less.

All in all things have really turned around for primers here i the last few weeks.

Posts: 39 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James260:
Tuscaloosa (ROLL TIDE)

Damn no matter what forum I get on there's always one around.

Powder and primers are around here, but they usually have only one brand or one style, expensive as hell. Powder is a little more abundant, again $4-5 more than you would usually pay. Great powder selection for very good prices at Shooter's in Columbus, GA but havent had any primers there in some time.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well like I posted in different thread I have been getting notices from Midway fairly regular for primers. Remington must have shipped a bunch as I got notices for all verities. Just got a notice on Federal small pistol match tonight. I did stock up on powder at the Tulsa gun show a couple of months back. I bought 8# of Varget and 8# of Tack from Powder River. I was in Bass Pro and Cabellas a couple of weeks ago and they had some powder and primers but a little pricey. The only upside is you don’t have to pay the Has mat charge. Plenty of bullets available.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
OK Doc I had a trip to the St. Louis area over the weekend and stoped in at Dunns Sporting Goods in Peavley.

They had a large quanity of Winchester/CCI/Fed. large rifle and small rifle but no mag rifle.....couldn't say what they had for pistol.....I don't use them so I didn't look at them very hard.

I picked up a couple thousand that I didn't need but am glad I have them now.

$28.99 per 1K

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Utah I have been unable to find any powder that I use. ie varget, ramshot, etc.

It took 5 trips to various places to find 2K SR primers at $33 per.

SP primers were even harder when i did find them I was limited to 300.

Bullets are the same .40 is hard to find and .270 is non existant. .223 in bulk or reasonably priced is also nowhere to be found. My reloading and shooting has come to a screeching halt as a result.

Ricky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Hawaii (Big Island) Powder supply is ok as there are not all that many reloaders that purchase powders by the pound. For those that do, most powders run about $40 per pound. Primers on the other hand are another story. No large rifle primers of any brand for over a year. Pistol primers of all sizes and flavors are in almost non-existant. Small rifle primers are available for $60-$65 per 1000 (magtech). thumbdown I guess if there are no primers, powder availability is a non issue.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to ALL of YOU who posted up . Ted ; That's a Good Price and they were available !.

What I personally have seen are some cci small pistol primers and Win 209 shot shell primers .

When I've contacted any of the mail order outfits it's NO BACK ORDERS and they're UNAVAILABLE or OUT

OF STOCK . I simply wanted to find 5-10K Win LR and possibly the same for Win SR primers .

When you shoot up 2500-3000 per month , that's not a lot of primers . I contacted Powder Valley

and they know what I normally purchase and have offered to DO WHAT THEY CAN . So it looks like I'll

stick with em ,as they have always treated me decently in the past .

There are None around this area at all , even with a 1K limit friends of friends gobble up

everything and there's no holding them . archer archer archer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I got to Glauber's Guns in Carrollton, KY today. They had pretty much everything on the shelf except Large Pistol Primers.

Everything is $$$Higher$$$. Powder looked to be anywhere from $19<->$32/#. Normal IMR/Hodgdon stuff was up to $21<->$24/#. Saw three 8# jugs for about $16?.00. One of the guys mentioned that getting the Powder has been a little slow, but that it is so high that people are slowing down buying it.

They had a wide variety of Bullets,but not many boxes of each Brand and Model#, maybe 1-3 boxes.

22RimFire stuff was low. Plenty of $$$High$$$ stuff, but not a lot of El Cheapo or Standard Grade.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Tazman1602
posted Hide Post
I got an email alert from Midway in the middle of the night yesterday about Large Pistol Magnum primers being back in stock. Orders a few bricks for myself because I had been out. By the time they were open 8am central I called and they indeed did have them in stock and I got my order. I asked and was told they had gotten a shipment of 100 bricks (100,000 primers). By the time I posted on my regular forum when I got to work, they were sold OUT......

I also caught another post on .380 ammo over at cast boolits. Some guy went to a gun show and a dealer had a ton of .380 ammo at $50/box of 50...........and had people lined up to buy them.

Until consumers stop paying these prices they are going to stay high.

The one that really shocked me is I use CCI BR2 benchrest primers for all my accurate rifle stuff (Thank GOD I have plenty....) and even when IN stock at only retail prices those are going for almost $50/1000 now.

I also had a laugh -- that electronic fired rifle Remington came out with a few years back, the "etonix" I think it's called? Those primers are almost $200/1000.......

Afraid prices are here to stay.......just like gasoline...........

Posts: 19 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amarillo, TX (Panhandle of Texas)

Primers-small pistol nothing else, have to drive to lubbock 2 hrs. south to find good stock of primers.

Bullets- Readily availible

Powder- Everything availible

Loaded ammo- Seeing everything except .380 (who cares anyways)

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
SoCal

All the powder you want,same goes for bullets and brass, primers the place I buy got a big shipment in Dec. WW Fed & Rem they are now out of all LR still have some Fed. SR & SP along with WW & Rem SR SP LP.

All the 209 primers you want every flavor.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No primers in New Mexico.

Some powder.

I order from Graf's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw where Graf had SR primers cci for $209.00 5K for that price they can keep them .

Ducks where bouts are you , southern central or northern ?.

rcamuglia ; I called some family who is in NM , your right didn't find primers except 209's .

Put in the word with Big T relatives their going to scour around for me .

I agree Tazman1602 ; Until consumers stop paying these prices they are going to stay high.

I'm not forking over more than $140.00 for an #8 pound jug of powder an prefer $90.-125.00

ditto for primers if they run more than $35 K let em keep them , those are dam ridiculous prices !.

archer archer archer