New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Fork bullet results
 Login/Join

<Steve in MI>
posted
I did a search and found some info here on the site that a few had bought the bullets. But could not find any results. Well how did they work?? I was thinking about trying some. But have not heard any info on how they performed or how they shoot??? Where they that bad that everyone just tossed them??

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
Everything I've seen posted has been excellent. Excellent accuracy and excellent terminal performance on tough game. Only thing not positive is the price--but you're not going dog hunting with em right??!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
They just may be the best bullet on the market for game today and sell at a reasonable competitive price...Accuracy is par excellent in all the rifles that I have shot them in and others tell me the same...

I have used them on elk, the PH's I book for in Tanzania use them on Buffalo with excellent results and textbook expansion, and penitrate like the dickens...they amount to an improved Nosler or Swift bullet, and thats no light praise.

Ross Seyfried, gunscribe, loves them,Alaskan Guide and gunwriter Phil Shoemaker really liked them on Brown Bear this year, Bill Dowtin, Dowtin Gun Works, used them on antelope and deer and has rave reviews on them...thats the way I see it...I have about decided to use them and GS HP's for all my non Dangerous game hunting...

Believe me when I tell you I have no qualms about trashing a bullet that doesn't work, I'm not prone to political correctness.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Steve in MI>
posted
How about a web site address?? Ans does any one know if they make it in a 25 cal and maybe even a 22 cal??

<Delta Hunter>
posted
I've been considering using these bullets also, but I have two concerns. First, do I need a bullet this stout for deer and second, they don't look like they would be very aerodynamic and thus would not be a good choice for long range work. Wouldn't that blunt nose and those grooves tend to slow it down pretty rapidly? I would like to hear anyone's opinions on these two issues.

[This message has been edited by Delta Hunter (edited 11-09-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter,

Do you need a bullet that stout for deer? Unless you want to be able to take a really bad angle shot with assurance of a clean kill, no. Lots of bullets kill deer well in typical heart/lung shots.

However, I did put meat in the freezer one year when a doe presented her south end to me while facing due north, and I had a Barnes-X in the chamber - penetrated her lenghtwise & drilled the heart. That was the last day I had to hunt that year, and was just before dark. I had confidence I could drive that bullet in far enough to drop her quickly.

As far as the semi-spitzer nose is concerned, unless you take shots way out there, say, past 300 yards, I can't believe the lessened ballistic coefficient will be any practical problem. Beyond 300 yards, you'll see more drop than with a spitzer at equal velocity.

BigIron

<AVMcGee>
posted
Steve,

I will give you the email I received today.

Mike Brady, the owner, doesn't have a website. I keep meaning to scan his brochure, and add it to my webpage. Problem is, I lost the brochure, again!

Here's his phone number...

307-436-2726

and e-mail...

northfork@vcn.com

By all means, give him a call, rather than an e-mail! He's a great guy to talk too.

Andrew V. McGee

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

That just plain freaked me out, reading that post!

I thought, "that seems familiar, but it's not my name on the post".

Then I read closer, and saw you had copied and forwarded my e-mail.

Now Mike will know I've lost yet another brochure, and probably never talk to me again!

If any one has a scanned .jpg format brochure, I'd love to have it. I have the .pfd version, but can't seem to copy the picture from the program.

Thanks!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Those are GS HV bullets you have been shooting with. The HPs are our old style smooth bullets.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

<Spike>
posted
BW-

email me what you have and I'll try to tinker with it and put it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter,
The point of a bullet has little if anything to do with aero dynamics, the ogive does and that is correct on the Northfork bullet, the grooves will give you more velocity and less pressure according to Northfork and GS and I believe that....Northforks are exceptionally accurate bullest, in fact about the most accurate bullets I have ever used, in the same ball park as the Balistic tips and thats no slight praise.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote