Find
Notify
Tools

Crimping without a groove
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents:

I have reloaded many calibers including wildcats, but I've never dealt with this situation....how to crimp a 235 gr Sierra 375 bullet in an H&H. It doesn't have a groove and obviously has a touch of recoil. I've roll crimped into cannelures with the standard Hornady and RCBS dies, but am preety sure this won't work without the groove.
So I'm calling on the experts.....which brand die, etc. should I get?

THANKS.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Gents:

I have reloaded many calibers including wildcats, but I've never dealt with this situation....how to crimp a 235 gr Sierra 375 bullet in an H&H. It doesn't have a groove and obviously has a touch of recoil. I've roll crimped into cannelures with the standard Hornady and RCBS dies, but am preety sure this won't work without the groove.
So I'm calling on the experts.....which brand die, etc. should I get?

THANKS.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

LEE factory crimp die <$10.00 Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
LEE factory crimp die <$10.00 Wink

It's the only one I know of that will do it, cause it uses a collet to do the crimping.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.....one is on its way!

Gary
DRSS
NRA LIFER
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got my Lee's for my 06 and 338 but cant really grasp how they work (haven't had a chance to try them practically yet). Wasn't the idea with this one that you didn't have to calibrate all cases to equal length before crimping?

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The main reason for the Lee Factory Crimp Die is to apply a good crimp without deforming the case. They also work well with noncannelured bullets.

The way they work is that as the case is pushed into the press by the die, the diameter of the collet decreases thus crimping the case mouth to the bullet. If you look at the top of the die while crimping the case, you can see the collet in action.

It's still best to have the cases of about the same length though.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the bullets I've pulled, the Lee factory crimp will force a "ring" into the bullet, at full crimp force.
Having some Sierra 2nd.s with out a cannellure in the right place, I have used a standard roll crimp sucessfully, which no doubt did the same thing to the bullet.

May not work on a hard/mono/solid bullet though.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
corbin crimp groove tool...
the end

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38650 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee crimp die for reloading 22 Hornets. Bullets are non-grooved. Works perfectly.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Lee Factory crimp die. I am cautious not to mash a crimp into the bullet right at the front (or rear) of the bearing surface of the bullet. I think that if you did it might allow bullet/bore alignment to suffer....especially in a bullet with very short bearing surface to begin with.

I use this die on most of my loads, and have had good success in improving accuracy as well as preventing bullet movement.

Good shooting,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee crimper for my DPMS AR10, very slight crimp on 175smk's and 178amax's.

Posts: 27 | Location: Sanger, TEXAS | Registered: 30 August 2006Reply With Quote