New
Find
Notify
Tools

38S&W load data question- Old gun
 Login/Join

<bstogsdill>
posted
Was 38 S&W cartridge developed as a smokelss powder cartride or a black powder cartridge?

I have an old S&W break-top in this caliber and I want to reload for it and am told that using normal loads from modern reloading data will be OK.

I think the gun is pre 1900? but have no facts and was concerned that maybe it was designed for black powder (lower pressure)?.

Does anybody have any old load data for this cartridge that would indicate if old guns of this caliber are designed for less pressure than modern guns of this caliber?

I want to assemble target loads to shoot for fun, not interested in hi-powered stuff.

If a revolver is pressed beyond its limits, what is the first thing to show- does the cylinder swell resulting in a bulge on the cylinder wall and the cartridge not extracting properly?

In other words if my pressure is within the cartridge load limits, and the cases extract normally, does this indicate that the cylinder is not being overstressed?

Thanks for input.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
This data is out of a old Ideal book lists bullseye 2 grs to 30grs at 15000lbs. unique 3 grs to 4.9 at 15000 lbs both with 125gr cast bullet.

bullseye 2grs to 3.0gr at 15000 lbs unique 3.0 to 4.7at 15000 lbs with a 147 gr cast bullet.
On the break opens I would stay on the lower end of the loads.
If you go with to high of pressure you well weaken the latch and it could come open during firing.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bstogsdill,

The latest Handloader magazine has an extensive article on the .38 S&W written by Gil Sengel. I thgink you'd find it useful.

BigIron