New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 powder for autos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally ran out of BLC-2. Need a powder for .308 Win that works well in powder measures and works with auto rifles.

How about Varget?

OK for M1A and "other" autos with bullet weights from 147 to 175 gr?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sending you a PM

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Win 748 is a ball powder that works well in the .308. Used it in a match grade M1 for a number of years w/168 gr. SMK's and also a 40XC bolt gun.

Varget is supposed to be very good in the 308 from what I hear. It should throw about like 4895 judging from the granule size but I haven't used it very much.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 916 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why not just buy more BLC-(2)?

If you're happy with it, why change?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was the last 8 pound keg of original BLC.

Did fine for plinking ammo in guns that are lots of shells. Looking for something that can give better accuracy.

Have used WW748 as well and that is another option.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate 2230, 2520.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem is that I have a need for buzz gun ammo and match ammo too. The BLC did well for the former, but never really well for the latter.

Have not seen those AA powders listed for high precision loads. IMR 4064, Varget and RL-15 seem to be the most common. I do use RL-15 for .308 accuracy loads. Am not sure how well the others run through a Dillon measure.

Mike

--------------

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
h335... which is fairly close to wc844, which was designed to... drum roll... load 308 in the m14

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
For a number of years AA 2520 was very popular in the match rifles at Camp Perry...both bolt guns and M1As. It was actually referred to among a lot of target shooters as ".308 target powder" or "X-ring powder".

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, my best ever 308 load for semi-autos, bolt rifles, single shots or a buddies lever action Savage 99 in 308 has been 39.5gr of IMR 3031 with a Sierra 168 MK, Sierra 165 HPBT Gameking, 165 Nosler Partition, or a 165 Nosler Ballistic Tip.

This load shoots great in M1-A's, 308 m1 Garands, FN-Fal's H&K 91's, etc.

Yes I know IMR 3031 meters like crap through a measure, but at ranges to 600 yards and less, it has never mattered. At Palma distances 800, 900, and 1000 yards I weight each powder charge...

I started using this load in the early 1970's.

I killed a deer and a couple of pigs with this same load this last deer season using a H&K 91.

There are lots of great 308 powders out there, but...
This load has worked so well in every 308 I have shot it in I have never seen a reason to change.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varget is very good, but it doesn't meter all that wonderfully. It meters fine for 300 yard target shooting, but for 600 you may want to trickle it up to final weight.

RE15 meters a little better, but I'd still trickle for 600. It's more temp sensitive too.

As long as you catch any powder bridges and re-throw the previous charge or two plus the following charge, there is no reason you couldn't clean a 600 yd target with thrown charges of either powder.

If you want a newer powder, I've heard nice things about 8208, but it is a little faster than Varget or RE15, but meters like or better than RE15 and is temp stable.

Good old 4895 is still good too and meters like RE15.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Problem is that I have a need for buzz gun ammo and match ammo too. The BLC did well for the former, but never really well for the latter.

Have not seen those AA powders listed for high precision loads. IMR 4064, Varget and RL-15 seem to be the most common. I do use RL-15 for .308 accuracy loads. Am not sure how well the others run through a Dillon measure.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I shot Master/HM scores with both 748 and 4895 behind the 168 gr. SMK's. 4895 can be thrown through Dillon measure to match grade standards but not nearly as easily as the 748.

Used the 4895 or 748 almost exclusively in the M1 out to 600 yds. I did like 4064 behind 190 gr. SMK's @ 600 to 1000 in the 40XC, though.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 916 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote