Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Brass Tumbler
 Login/Join

posted
My brass tumbler just bit the dust. I was wandering which one everyone is using and how you like it. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
I have one of those old cheap blue tumblers from Midway, has worked fine for 15 years. BA

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lyman 2200, which seems to work well, but the best one I have used and still use often is the RCBS sidewinder rotary tumbler.

The lyman will handle more brass, but the sidewinder will clean them much quicker. Plus you can use liquid solution in the sidewinder. Not sure if you can in the vibrator types.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like Bill Adams, my old Midway tumbler is still going strong. Any of the vibrating "tumblers" will do about the same job. Unlike HL, my impression is that the vibrators work faster than the rollers, but having no experience with the rollers I can't really say. HL is certainly correct that if for some reason you want to use a liquid, you must use the rolling-style machine.

My advice would be to buy whatever is cheapest and has a bowl large enough to accomodate your particular volume demands.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best is a Thumlers Tumbler vibratory tumbler. They are also the most expensive. If I were doing it again I would just go to Midway or Midsouth find out what vibratory tumbler was on sale. They are all basically the same.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My Thumlers has been going strong since 1987. Wasn't that much more than any other at the time.

One piece of advice is get the largest you can afford.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman Turbo tumbler that serves me well, and has for several years. I think most tumblers are pretty well made. The key is in finding the media and cleaning solution that works best for you. There is a learning curve involved in this. After much experimentation and frustration I setled on a product called Lyman Tuf-Nut. It's a walnut media that has jewellers rouge built into it. There's nothing else to add. Being dry the median doesn't clog your primer pockets and insides of the case. Also it leaves no haze on the case. They come out shiny and clean. Being dry also doesn't contaminate your media so rapidly. Just one mans opinion, but it works well for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the best, but certainly large... I saw a vibratory tumbler at Jeff Bartlett's place that would handle 1000 30-06 cases. The tumbler bowl was 3' across in the middle. Was fargin Huge!

Ian

A.K.A. Haywire Haywood

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a dillon on adice from others.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but praise for the large Dillon vibrator. It will handle a ton of cases and has done a great job for many, many years.

However, as I type, I just fired up for the first time a new Thumblers rotary with ceramic media. I'll report back with the results.

I shoot a lot of black powder cartridges and the brass gets about as dirty as it can get. Others tell me this ceramic media set up will make the brass look brand new after 2-3 hours without all the brushing and scrubbing I have to do before I use the walnut media. Plus, the ceramic never wears out.

We will see.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcasto, I'd love to hear what you think of that Thumlers rotary tumbler with the ceramic media. Thanks, Sam

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my midway will not quit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman, an RCBS and the Cabelas, all the vibratory model. Nothing wrong with the first two but the Cabelas is the best of these three

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Midway blue vibratory type and couple years ago, basement flooded, ruined the unit. Called Midway to order another one and was told to send it to them, did so and they sent me a new one, no charge!! Fixed the basement problem and no more problems!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Lyman turbo pro 1200, has great capacity, & no intrusive noise. Steve in U.K. Smiler

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS Sidewinder case tumbler. It is that first and only tumbler I have purchased.
I was expensive, but I like the idea that it could use both liquid and dry media. I was also worried that the vibratory type would make a loud buzzing noise that I would not like.

The sidewinder produces is quiet a low rumbling noise along with a slight tinkling sound of the cartridge case touching.
With extra tumblers barrels available (again expensive) I thought I might one day use it to moly coat bullets.

I have not tried ceramic media, so far I have just used Lyman treated corn cob media.
Recently I have added a couple of table spoons of Dillon Rapid Polish 290 just to see if the cases could get shiner and yes it did make them a little shiner.

My only complaints are:
1) The unit is expensive.

2) The media I am using left a slimy greasy feel to the cases and a little dust(before and after the dillon polish). I wash the cases off under running water after tumbling.

3) I thought the cases would get clean inside too but nothing can remove the burned on stain on the inside of the case.

If I was in the market for a case cleaner today knowing what I now know, I would buy an ultrasonic type cleaner for its superior cleaning ability and its versatility for cleaning other small part jewelry and stuff.

For cleaning just a few cases (less than 25) I just brush them out under running water then spin them while holding a "Krazy Kloth" cleaning rag against them, the brass shines up so much it looks almost white and they hold their shine in storage. Where as the cases straight from the tumbler with only a rinse off tend to get a dark mottled or uneven colour with a slight greenish tint after a few months in storage (I blame the media I am using).

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 24 August 2008 19:57 Hide Post
I have the RCBS Sidewinder case tumbler. It is that first and only tumbler I have purchased.
I was expensive, but I like the idea that it could use both liquid and dry media. I was also worried that the vibratory type would make a loud buzzing noise that I would not like.

The sidewinder produces is quiet a low rumbling noise along with a slight tinkling sound of the cartridge case touching.
With extra tumblers barrels available (again expensive) I thought I might one day use it to moly coat bullets.

I have not tried ceramic media, so far I have just used Lyman treated corn cob media.
Recently I have added a couple of table spoons of Dillon Rapid Polish 290 just to see if the cases could get shiner and yes it did make them a little shiner.

My only complaints are:
1) The unit is expensive.

2) The media I am using left a slimy greasy feel to the cases and a little dust(before and after the dillon polish). I wash the cases off under running water after tumbling.

3) I thought the cases would get clean inside too but nothing can remove the burned on stain on the inside of the case.

If I was in the market for a case cleaner today knowing what I now know, I would buy an ultrasonic type cleaner for its superior cleaning ability and its versatility for cleaning other small part jewelry and stuff.

For cleaning just a few cases (less than 25) I just brush them out under running water then spin them while holding a "Krazy Kloth" cleaning rag against them, the brass shines up so much it looks almost white and they hold their shine in storage. Where as the cases straight from the tumbler with only a rinse off tend to get a dark mottled or uneven colour with a slight greenish tint after a few months in storage (I blame the media I am using).

Posts: 127 | Location: Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006 Reply With Quote

Hi Greenjoy, I don't use any washing myself, but would suspect your greenish hue is to do with not drying fully, I have found that lightly loaded tumblers running for 4 hours minimum gives a factory shine wave

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too will be interested to learn of the results with ceramic media and the Thumblers.

I bought one of the Thumblers, and was VERY disappointed. I loaded it up with a reasonable amount of media and brass and it would barely spin. I emptied it immediately, and it sits in the basement looking for another owner, it has a spare 'rubber' liner, and other than the 30 minute first test, is brand new--very frustrated with it, maybe I was just using it wrong--can't imagine how--but my dillon 'regular' tumbler works like a charm, has for several years now.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 0 problems with my Lyman Twin Tumbler.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think I bought my Thumblers Model B roller in 1970 or so when they were about all that was available. I used it quite a bit the first 5 years. I learned to keep my brass clean so I don't use it so much now. It will be 40 in 2 years.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Latham:
[QUOTE]I thought the cases would get clean inside too but nothing can remove the burned on stain on the inside of the case.

I've used the ultrasonic type cleaner (which you are looking for) together with citric acid

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like the one on top has a head separation coming, didn't you notice the discoloration?

Posts: 654 | Location: Expat | Registered: 20 July 2008Reply With Quote