New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballistol as a case lubricant?
 Login/Join

<ringneck>
posted
I read an article by Ross Seyfried awhile back about ballistol and I ordered some. On their web page www.ballistol.com they mention that it's great for case lubricant. Has anyone here used it for this purpose? Would it contaminate the powder or primers?

Thanks!
Shawn

<Hunting Max>
posted
Hi ringneck,

yes, of course, you can use Ballistol as case lubricant. I lube all my cases with Ballistol. The only case where it don�t work is the 8x68S (Magnum). There I have to use real case lubricant, for example Redding�s. If you have to much amount of Ballistol on the cases, it is possible, that you contaminate the primer pocket. But anyway, I wash all my cases after resizing in hot water with dish washer detergent. That removes all the dirt inside the case and also the Ballistol or other lubricants. After washing I dry them on a cookie sheet in the sun or in the warm oven at about 50 degree Celsius (I think, that is about 120 degree Fahrenheit). Hope that will help you.

------------------
Guns can save lives - maybe your�s.
Max

<ringneck>
posted
Thanks Max! They say this is great stuff for gun care so I'll give it a try.

Shawn

<ringneck>
posted
In case anyone is interested I got my Ballistol in yesterday and it works great as a case lube. I squirted some on a folded paper towel and rolled the cases over it. I was able to full length resize 338-06 cases in my Rockchucker press using only my little finger to operate the lever. I'm impressed!

Shawn

<konst>
posted
just as note:
Ballistol will not displace water, so if your gun get�s wet, be sure to take a oil that displaces water!!!
Ballistol will dissolve ( is dissolve the rigt word??..hope you understand what i�m trying to point out..)

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ringneck,

Did you buy the aerosol or the spray? How much do you apply to the cloth?

Thanks,

Dave

------------------
Washington, DC -- where they took a perfectly good swamp and made it into a sewer.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
Dave,

I bought both the aerosol and the pump spray. It came in a kit together. It didn't take much on the cloth, a couple of squirts out of the pump. This stuff is slippery.

Konst, this surprises me as they say in their information that the lube emulsifies with water and when the water evaporates the lube stays behind to protect the metal.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by ringneck (edited 01-10-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you say about the smell of this stuff ?

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have never used that stuff but I have read MANY posts on different forums that the smell is equivalent to crusty gym socks and underwear. A heady aroma to be sure.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ringneck>
posted
I'd say it smells like.... well, you get the idea. Let's just say it would be hard to make it smell worse! It does work however.

Shawn