Picture of, a stopped, charging Crony!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PEI ROB:
 -

This is my NEW Chrony's best friend. It saved his ass lots of times since.

How dost thou checkest thine readout for each shot?

Inquiring minds [Confused] want to know.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
See, that shows the importance of using a good bullet. It took TWO matchkings to kill my Beta Chrony........ LOL! Dutch.

Dutch,

That's because the MatchKing IS NOT a hunting bullet !!!! [Wink] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

(couldn't resist !)

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Beta Master.(now [Embarrassed] ) The readout is on my bench next to me. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Make sure the front plate DEFLECTS projectiles at an ANGLE away from you. [Wink]

That "Chrony Saver" took only minutes to plan and weld and a few more to paint. The foam took me an hour to find, thats it. BTW, its way to heavy for my tripod.

One thing I learned besides the fact I can easily hit a moving Chrony with my eyes closed [Big Grin] is NOT to have ANYthing higher than the face of that guard. I had made a stand for the chrony by welding a piece of steel to a rim. Then placed the chrony in the middle and fired away. TWO bullets nicked the steel riser and lead sprayed my chrony lens.

Can you see the marks on the face? Now I don't worry at all with the handguns but with the rifles I figure I'll start using an extra plate thats disposible just in case the "brother-in-law" or the used to be buddy's out of work, dead-beat, broke friend that you last loaned it to! [Big Grin] wants to use it.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
PEI ROB,

See if you can find a cutter edge from a Cat road grader, a track shoe from any model Cat dozer or loader. They are made from a work hardening manganese alloy. I shot a 0.750" thick grader edge at 100 yards using the 619 grain APIT from my .500 over 112 grains RL-15. I guess the velocity at 2300 fps. Either way it made a very loud BLANG! and scored the paint. No joke, just a quarter sized area was now polished. Not even a dimple.
0.750" mild steel this same load blew right through and bent the 4" wide bar.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Interesting enough it just slowly fell over backwards on the tripod. I thought that the muzzle blast had just knocked it over.

Interesting comment Mickey1. There were a group of fellows up on the African forum recently swearing their bullets had "knocked buffalo backwards" when the bullet struck them.

The mathematical impossibility and even silliness of this notion was pointed out by several sharp members...but I think a few didn't let the facts cloud their story. [Smile] (If you get my drift.)

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was considering the making of a patchwork Chrony skin quilt. Never thought there might be so many hides available.

Ha Ha

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger.
I agree with you, on the steel choice.
I've tried just the same as you with my 460, using Hornady 500grs, fmj's. The steel was unharmed, but I also heard a very loud "clang". A regular steelplate of that size I see on the picture, I'd have no problem shooting right trough it!! Even with soft noses!!
I know because I've done it several times, even with 405grs. Rem SP's (45-70 bullets).

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have a few pieces of blade I haven't trimmed to size yet. I was going to just set them on the lip. Not only that Roger and 460wby but you better have a sturdy base. With those monster rounds the impact would rattle any cage, Possibly knocking the setup over. I use 2 small bungie chords as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is your 460 Weatherby a CRF rifle, or is it a Weatherby Mark V push feed? If it is a push feed, were you apprehensive that the chrony's charge might discomfit you so much that you would short-stroke the action, resulting in a jam? I think that this incident shows that push feed actions should not be used with chronys because you never know when things might go so wrong that only a CRF action will allow you to get out alive!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those blade pieces I have are off snow plows etc. I don't have a cannon YET but I'd love to. I place the Chrony as far away as possible and NEVER use those diffusing rods. I just use twigs or weeds.

I'm wondering how much mild steel a 3000 fps 180 gr non AP bullet will go through. Anyone try this? I would love to place bets with a few guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LE270.
I was on the safe side. My 460 is buildt on a Brno ZKK602 action, and very much CRF!!

ARE YOU CRAZY?? I would never go after a RED Crony with a push feed! [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For thosof you who might want a return engagement with the wily Chrony, here's the e-mail I got from the manufacturer:

Date: Tue, Dec 24, 2002, 11:42am (PST+3)
Subject: Re: Oops, I did a no-no!

Hello,

As per your email, you say you have a MASTER CHRONY, if this is correct and the LCD REMOTE has not been damaged, then all you have to do is purchase a Master Housing for your Chrony $34.95 Plus $5.00 S & H (US FUNDS). When placing your order, all we need to know is which Master chrony you have.

Do not ship back the Master Housing.

Thank you, Mandy

Evidently they've been through all this before.

Derald

Posts: 24 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What happens to old pictures? Confused

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looks like the site that held the pictures closed its doors.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
"Evidently they've been through all this before"

I hate to burst your bubble, but you are not the first to defend yourself from Chrony gone wild. You may hold the record for overkill however. The Air rifle shooters seemed to be very adapt at one-shot kills.

As they say, there are only two types of chronographs out there, those that have been shot and those that are going to be.

One very good reason to get a chronograph with a separate control head.

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Here's one I stopped just in time. It was only about 10 feet away when I knocked it down with a single shot from a Colt Walker replica revolver.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet:
Here's one I stopped just in time. It was only about 10 feet away when I knocked it down with a single shot from a Colt Walker replica revolver.

A good shot!! thumb

I know...........I'm far away from being the first to do this, and I'm definitively NOT the last....
The first time I was telling this story, was back in 1999 I think. Before the big BANG (break down on this forum). hillbilly

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll admit I'm a complete newby at crony shooting, mainly due to not using them much.

I can understand hitting them with a 416 W'by, (flinch) or a percussion pistol, but what is the general problem. The only ones I've seen have "dork" marks for scope or iron sights.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago, I stopped a charge with a 44 cap&ball revolver. I returned it to Chrony with a 59.00 check and recieved a new one that has not shown any signs of aggression, so far.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
When they're really dangerous is when you come onto a couple of big bulls standing around in the shade of a tree by themselves. They don't like being jolted awake by a sudden muzzle blast, and are likely to charge in whatever direction trhey're facing when aroused.

How do I know? Well, I have never actually killed a Chrony, but I was wondering around Black Canyon (north of Phoenix) one day with a friend when we came on my Chrony and its Oehler Askari asleep under a tree.

My buddy saved my bacon. When the Chrony started to act up, I covered it with my .458, but I didn't notice the Oehler in full malice bearing down on me 'til I heard his .300 WBY go off. He hit the sucker right in the top of the head, but all it did was wound it. Blew a hole in the middle of the skull plate, but didn't kill it. I gave it some first-aid using rhe only thing we had, duct tape, and it survived.

So, for safety now I only take out one or the other alone, never together anymore.

Don't want to actually kill that Oehler, but if I ever have to, I've learned it will take a bigger rifle than a .300 Wby with 200 gr. Nosler partitions....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I've got some good pics, my boss flinched while shooting my 45-70. Big Grin

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
JAL: I think that people line everything up, gun rest, fun, screens and target. They fire a few shots. Everything goes well, then their rest shifts or their sand bags sag and they don't think to re-check the alignment with the chrono' on every shot.

Airgun shooters have tons of stories and flinching isn't their problem. Inattention. Treat every shot like it's the first.

Like any wild animal you gotta always keep your eye on it at all times. Look away for a second and they'll pounce.

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
OOPS!

Always check your aim when switching from irons to a scope.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
When they're really dangerous is when you come onto a couple of big bulls standing around in the shade of a tree by themselves. They don't like being jolted awake by a sudden muzzle blast, and are likely to charge in whatever direction trhey're facing when aroused.

How do I know? Well, I have never actually killed a Chrony, but I was wondering around Black Canyon (north of Phoenix) one day with a friend when we came on my Chrony and its Oehler Askari asleep under a tree.

My buddy saved my bacon. When the Chrony started to act up, I covered it with my .458, but I didn't notice the Oehler in full malice bearing down on me 'til I heard his .300 WBY go off. He hit the sucker right in the top of the head, but all it did was wound it. Blew a hole in the middle of the skull plate, but didn't kill it. I gave it some first-aid using rhe only thing we had, duct tape, and it survived.

So, for safety now I only take out one or the other alone, never together anymore.

Don't want to actually kill that Oehler, but if I ever have to, I've learned it will take a bigger rifle than a .300 Wby with 200 gr. Nosler partitions....

A good one, Buddy!! Wink

Arild.