THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Reloading Data 300WM 168gr TSX ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't have the #3 Barnes reloading book, does anybody have the data for the 300WM 168gr TSX + Reloader 19 ? Or! anybody have results from their own loads? I have found Reloader 19 works very well in 30 cal. rifles with the 168gr. TSX. Any comments appreciated!

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used up almost all my RL19 powder trying to find a load for 168gr XLC's. My rifle didn't like XLC's as the best group was 1.8" and most of the groups were 3 or 4 inches. So, I gave up on the XLC's and started trying the 168TSX.

I haven't tried RL19 with the TSX but Barnes lists 71.0 grains to start (2907 fps)and 76.0 gr max (3112 fps) for the standard X bullet. Barnes says that you might be able to add up to 1 grain more powder with the TSX because of the grooves; the max charge in my rifle with the TSX was the same as the book listed max for the standard X and RL22.

I haven't settled on a load yet with the TSX, however, I'm sure I will find an acceptable load since every load I've tried has produced groups less than 2" and some were right around 1". I found that 77.5 grains of RL22 was the most accurate with the bullet seated at 0.050" to the lands. I haven't tried any seated closer than that yet, but I think closer may be better since the deeper I seated them, the farther the groups would open. (The 77.5 grain load produced an average velocity of 3225)

I'm going to try loading some with H1000. Since my rifle really likes H1000 and 180gr Sierra Boat Tails, I'm hoping that H1000 might be the best for my rifle with Triple Shocks also.

Good luck, and let us know your results.

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My WarBird would shoot 1/4" and 1/2" groups with 168TSX and Reloader 19 .025 off the lands I tried .050 .040 and .025, as I moved closer to the lands the groups went from 3" to 1/2".

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! I'll definately have to try adjusting the seating depth. (I'm glad my magazine allows me enough room to seat the bullets out a ways.)

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote