THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Brass quality of Promotional Cartridges vs Others?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass quality of Promotional Cartridges vs Others?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if the quality of the brass used in Win, Rem or Federal "promotional" rifle cartridges is different (i.e. lower quality) than the �standard� loadings. For example in the 30-06 Federal loads the �American Eagle� brand ($10.59 @Midway), the �Classic� line ($13.79), �High Energy� ($22.25) and the �Premium� line ($19.99). I realize they all have different bullets (none of the above with premium bullets) and that accounts for price differences but was wondering if the brass itself is different between the loadings. Same for Winchester (USA Brand vs Super-X) and Remington (UMC vs Express).

I�m only interested in the brass < !--color--> quality, not the loadings or other components. I want to buy some of the cheaper promotional loads to break in a new barrel and will buy brass in bulk for reloading from the same manufacturer, but was thinking they might be different in quality. Anybody have any experience?

Thanks in advance and good shooting,
Paul

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any difference

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I've fired and reloaded quite a few rounds of Win Q3131a and UMC in .223 and Win white box 45acp.
The only difference I've seen is that the q3131a and the UMC aren't polished after annealing (sp).
I believe this is a milspec requirement, but also saves a little money.Dimensionally and runout wise I have found them to be in the same ballpark as bulk brass from the same manufacturers.
I don't shoot or reload Federal ammo so I don't have any feedback in that area.
The fired cases should be just fine for your purposes.
Enjoy
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote