New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trail Boss Powder in .222
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to make some reduced loads in a .222 for squirrel hunting. I would like around 2000fps with a 40gr bullet. Has anyone tried IMR Trail Boss in their .222? If so, what was the velocity and accuracy results?

Thank you, Tony

Posts: 51 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tony300wby:
I want to make some reduced loads in a .222 for squirrel hunting. I would like around 2000fps with a 40gr bullet. Has anyone tried IMR Trail Boss in their .222? If so, what was the velocity and accuracy results?

Thank you, Tony

Get a Lyman reloading manual and a Lyman cast bullet manual and use the loads in it. Forget Trail Boss. It is best used for 1000 FPS loads in a straight case.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Vihta N110 and 45 grain bullets for the target range, especially the running boar. This powder is not as fluffy as Trailboss but serves the same purpose.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
trailboss has a formula for rolling your own .. its on the website...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading in a German forum a comment from the author of Quickload. He stated that when approaching load density = 1, Trailboss started to behave irratically. Thus, be carefull. These "light" loads are fun but more things can go wrong than with regular loads.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote