Find
Notify
Tools

3006-270 brass resized
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted
I have changed calibers from 30-06 to 270 win and have a lot of 06 brass,Will running the brass through a 270 die then trimming affect the accuracy as compared to normal 270 brass?Thanks great site!!

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.30-06 brass is nominally a bit shorter than .270, so it is doubtful that the necked down brass will need to be trimmed. Naturally, sizing down from .30 to .27 will cause a little brass to flow forward, but this will just about make up for the original difference in length (2.495" vs 2.54").

In a .270 with a really tight chamber in the neck area, the thickened brass might need to be thinned. Usually, however, the neck area of the chamber is somewhat oversized, and the '06 brass will be a better fit than original .270's.

Tip: Start with your .270 full length sizer backed off of the shell holder a bit. Screw the die down until the sized case chambers in the rifle with just a very slight resistance when turning down the bolt handle. This will give you perfect headspace and usually better concentricity of the shell in the chamber. This is one big advantage of using '06 brass for .270.

All in all, I'd prefer to start with '06 brass when loading a .270!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but can you use 270 brass to make 30-06?

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, although necking-up is a bit trickier and less consistent than necking-down. An intermediate expander button like .284 may be needed for a two-step operation, or better yet, a long, tapered expander can be used.

You end up with a thinner than standard case neck, a bit of a wrinkle in the neck which used to be part of the shoulder, and you will need to trim .270 back when expanded to .30 cal.

You may also experience some neck splits when running a .30 expander into the case, and also are more likely to experience case neck splits on firing. These are degrading to accuracy (as well as terminal for the use of the case, unless you want to make .45 ACPs out of the bases).

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will end up with cases shorter than the chamber by a good deal by necking 06 down and that can, at least in theory, cause some throat damage...

It is a simple task to neck 270 up to 06, but use a proper amount of lube inside and out and so that you do not bulge the shoulder, neck or neck junction or split the case...go slowly and use feel.

I never do any of this stuff with brass that has been shot over once and mostly only with fired factory stuff.

O6 and 270 bulk brass is so cheap these days its hardly worth the risk of an incorrect head stamp.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
Milosmate, I had the same situation, I had a huge surplus of '06 brass. I resized them and loaded them up as 270's and quickly discovered they are alot shorter. I reduced charges to compensate for the shorter case. I used loads that were well below minimum 270 charges and every single primer flattened. I had horrible accuracy, probably due to the neck thickness, and very low velocity for a 270. Ray has it right, with the current prices of bulk brass I'd just buy the 270 brass and load it right. You can probably sell the -06 brass if its in good shape.
Sooner

<Burnt Powder>
posted
There is no reason in God's green earth that you can't resize '06 down to .270 with outstanding results. The length of the neck has NOTHING to do with capacity, and It will NOT have any effect on throat erosion. The neck on the .270 is longer than really necessary. I always do trim them after resizing down to .270 for two simple reasons. It squared up the mouth of the cartridge, and made them all the same uniform length. Both of which is far more important than being .100" shorter in the neck. The length of the neck will have little to no effect on accuracy, and the thickness after resizing will be so small as to be realisticly impossible to measure with common (.001" calibration calipers) measuring equipment. Headstamp? Who cares what it says on the case head? You can't chamber an '06 in a .270 anyway, and it won't hurt anything but your pride to chamber and fire a .270 in your .06! I did for years and continue to make .270 cases out of '06 brass. Not only with comercial brass either. I have used LOTS of military brass for .270 cases. As a point of interest, when Hornady first came out with thier line of Frontier ammunition it was only available in .270 and '06! Guess what, it was all resized and loaded military brass. Worked well then, and still does today! My take on the situation is like this: If you already have the '06 brass why spend one red cent buying .270 brass when all it takes is one pass through the sizing die and you are in business!
Can you make '06 out of .270? You betcha!! Just trim to length and fire away! You won't have any more than normal problems with thin necks or cracking than if it was originaly '06 brass. Normaly you get split necks because necks are too thick rather than too thin. Like Ripley says: Believe it, or not! This is all the voice of experience speaking. I have for many, many years done all of what was asked here as well as form and fire cases for a 35 Whelen, and .25-06. If you can't tell the difference between the different chamberings without reading the headstamp, you probably shouldn't be reloading/handloading anyway! Buy factory ammo and throw the brass my way. I'll use it for something!

BP

------------------
Speak softly, but carry a big stick!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Black Powder,
I have seen it happen in the field more than several ocassions with miss marked brass conversions especially when a handloader is hunting with a friend and his rifle wherein he uses 270 ammo in the o6 rifle. It does happen...

On the throat erosion issue, that is standard reloading theory and I so stated that it was theory that erosion will effect the sharper edge of steel at the throat and build up a residue in that area..The reality of this I don't think anyone can attest to with any amount of proof one way or the other and from a practical standpoint I doubt if it makes a bit of difference anyway.

I'm certainly not argueing the accuracy of your post as I agree completely, I was just pointing out some issues that come up on the subject, for the reader to be aware of..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burnt Powder:
There is no reason in God's green earth that you can't resize '06 down to .270 with outstanding results. The length of the neck has NOTHING to do with capacity, and It will NOT have any effect on throat erosion. The neck on the .270 is longer than really necessary. I always do trim them after resizing down to .270 for two simple reasons. It squared up the mouth of the cartridge, and made them all the same uniform length. Both of which is far more important than being .100" shorter in the neck. The length of the neck will have little to no effect on accuracy, and the thickness after resizing will be so small as to be realisticly impossible to measure with common (.001" calibration calipers) measuring equipment. Headstamp? Who cares what it says on the case head? You can't chamber an '06 in a .270 anyway, and it won't hurt anything but your pride to chamber and fire a .270 in your .06! I did for years and continue to make .270 cases out of '06 brass. Not only with comercial brass either. I have used LOTS of military brass for .270 cases. As a point of interest, when Hornady first came out with thier line of Frontier ammunition it was only available in .270 and '06! Guess what, it was all resized and loaded military brass. Worked well then, and still does today! My take on the situation is like this: If you already have the '06 brass why spend one red cent buying .270 brass when all it takes is one pass through the sizing die and you are in business!
Can you make '06 out of .270? You betcha!! Just trim to length and fire away! You won't have any more than normal problems with thin necks or cracking than if it was originaly '06 brass. Normaly you get split necks because necks are too thick rather than too thin. Like Ripley says: Believe it, or not! This is all the voice of experience speaking. I have for many, many years done all of what was asked here as well as form and fire cases for a 35 Whelen, and .25-06. If you can't tell the difference between the different chamberings without reading the headstamp, you probably shouldn't be reloading/handloading anyway! Buy factory ammo and throw the brass my way. I'll use it for something!

BP

Thanks for the input,will give it a try, the hornady manual said it was possible so thought I would check first, thanks great site

------------------

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote