New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Ole 30/06 !
 Login/Join

<sure-shot>
posted
Worked up a load for a friend's 30/06 recently. The rifle is a factory Ruger Mk II SS in a laminated stock. I lapped the scope rings, tweaked the factory trigger down to 3lbs(no creep) and left the bedding alone. Mounted a Leupold Var-X II 3X9 scope.

After prepping Win brass and heading to the range, I worked up a load that groups in the .6s and .7s consistently.

WW case, WLR primer, Nosler 165gr BT and Pt and 63gr of RL22 for a velocity of 2922fps. Caution: this is a max load, reduce 10% and work up. Bullets were seated .010" off the lands. Primer pockets remained snug after five loadings.

This 30/06 was like most I've worked with. It was not fussy and brought back memories of my 1st 06 which performed very similar in accuracy and velocity. I kinda miss the ole 06 and it seems like a good return to simpler cartridges. Hmm I got a LA Rem Classic McMillan stock laying around in the office.

sure-shot

<SlimL>
posted
It sometimes it is good to pick up old habits. I have been hunting/shooting handguns exclusively here lately and picked up my old Mod 70 in 30-06 so I could loan it to a first time deer hunter I am taking out this year. Sure do like the wood on that stock. I even still have some ammo to test for it hanging around. Slim

<1LoneWolf>
posted
progress is progress, speed is speed, however the 30-06 can still do anything here in NA that most any other caliber could want to do when it comes to dropping game.

Accuracy is good, knock down power is good, energy is good......what doesn't the -06 do well?

It is like a reliable old grand parent. I would rather go with grandfather to the VFW than some young kid, and I'd rather bring my -06 to a hunt than most other calibers.