New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you do it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Reloading that is. I just moved into a new house and trying to decide where to set up my reloading area. The basement would be the easiest, but I am worried about humidity. Also considering having it in the gun room, but I'd really rather not have the mess and spent primers on the hardwood floor. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
John

Posts: 556 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
For the most part, at the range...

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can be anywhere and the gun room is a great place since it would be easy to chamber rounds to see if the sizing is correct before doing too many. I have a home office and 3 big monitors on my desk. Under one monitor are two holes in my desk top. Under the desck top are two T nuts. When I get ready to load I slide the monitor over and bolt up my Rockchucker and get to work. Use a primer catcher and for a backup put a small trash can under your press.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Where ever the kids can't find me!! Cool

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IN my garage.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
In my old bedroom at my Dad's house. I haven't lived there in years and it seems as though my room has been converted to a reloading laboratory in my absence.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Humidity should not be a problem unless your basement leaks.

My man cave is in my basement and I have no problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Basement does not leak, but humidity seldom gets below about 65%, and higher in the summer. I am a competitive shooter so during the shooting season I'll load a lot of ammo. I don't think a temporary set up in the den or office would work for me.

Thanks,
John

Posts: 556 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Virginia gets damp.
I bought a 12 by 16 garden shed, wired it, put A/C in it. I lined the inside with 6 mil plastic, put Melamine paneling up then built my benches. It stays pretty dry and cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
You basement, with a dehumidifier should be just about right.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for your basement. Set it up to accomodate what you want. Get the lighting right, make sure temps are comfortable--basements temps stay pretty steady usually--and allow yourself plenty of room.

Really good dehumidification units are available and pretty cheap. My basement has HVAC, and is finished so not an issue, but my Pop lives in the same area, and he didn't finish his completely, has heat only in it, and he uses a dehumidifier and it pulls the little excess moisture out nicely. For reloading I don't think it would actually be an issue.....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 x 40 building garage etc. I built a 12 x 20 "shop" inside it it is heated,AC pine paneled etc. Gun room , reloading, tools everything in my world is there. Prior to this I reloaded in the basement you will have no trouble there.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I say basement as well.

I don't think you'll have any moisture problems as long as you have no leaks and basements seem to keep more of a constant temp vs. above ground structures.

I made one of my small 12x12 rooms in the house a Reloading/Gun/Hunting accessories/trophy room. It is very cramped and I wish it were 25x25 honestly for what I have in it but, if it were for the sole purpose of reloading alone a 12x12 would be plenty. One thing you really need is lots of cabinets or shelving to store all of your components. If you go with cabinets be sure to beef up your supports or block them well because bullets and dies can get quite heavy.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Posted by Reloader:
quote:
If you go with cabinets be sure to beef up your supports or block them well because bullets and dies can get quite heavy.

Damn good advice!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say basement with a dehumidifier. I like a place that is dedicated to one job. Helps keep all your good junque together.
If you opt for the gun room, get a section of shag carpeting to put under your bench to protect the hardwood.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve been useing the basement for my loading and gun storeage for over 30 years with out any problems. My dad did the same for as long as I can remember. I find in the summer the central air keeps the whole house quite dry.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my case, it was the garage due to the wife. Mine insists that everything stays in the garage. And even that makes her nervous notwithstanding that her father has reloaded for years.

And I keep telling her gunpowder's not an explosive just a flammable solid that burn really fast.....

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
basement, have a great work bench with metal halide light, plenty of room and no humidity, you could always get a dehumidifier and keep it in the general area of reloading for moisture control.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
When I built this house I had a separate garage and workroom built which is connected by a long breezeway. It's sorta like this garage and workroom is my house and the rest of it over there is her house. I keep it dirty enough with the dog's help so she doesn't come over here much. thumb

It has a window unit for the hot summers and I have a couple of little electric ceramic heaters for the really cold nights (it got down to 25* one night this winter!).

Anyway after dinner I retire to watch TV, reload and surf the net out here each night (Honey, the dogs need company!).

Best thing I ever did was constructing my own separate place out here. I like being in the doghouse (12'x35' with workbenches, TV, internet, built in desk and leather couches (for the dogs)).

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods, my friend - you have it figured out!

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote