New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harrell Premium Powder Measure???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering replacing my RCBS powder measure with a Harrell Premium Powder measure or one of the electronic despensers like PACT or Lymans and was wondering if this Harrell will work better than the RCBS uniflow P.M. with larger powders like H4831 and RL22 & 25. Im having alot of problems with the RCBS not metering out the larger grain powders as well as powders like H110 and W760 which is understandable but before I spend the money on a Harrell I was wondering if this will work better than the one I have now or would I be better off putting it into one of the electronic despensers/digital scale combos over the Harrell.

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SECOND HAND INFO on the Harrel measure....it's better with a consistant procedure than the Uniflow but still difficult to get the long grain powder to measure in large charges.....I do have the RCBS(pact made) powder dispenser and scale combo....it works well and needs a couple of min. to warm up and is sensitive to vibrations or drafts of air.....to speed up things use the uniflow to short throw a charge and let the dispencer finish it off while you do another step in loading....the scale is super nice for case sorting and checking bullets for consistancy....on the Harrel the info was from a friend when I was going to up grade a micrometer/baffeled large and small drum Uniflows for similar problems....good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neither one. For long-grained powders, the best powder measure is the Lee! (!!???!?!) I know it's a cheap piece of ****, but it works. If it's too ugly, close your eyes. If something breaks because it's plastic and maybe should have been made out of metal, either send it back or buy another one.

The Lee is the best measure made for long-grain powder. The only thing better is a Prometheus (utilizes a Uniflow, but, with help, weighs each charge and stops when you've trickled enough - very fast, but about $700, I believe).

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
What Recono said is exactly right in my experience.
Just be prepared to spend another 39 cents every 4 or 5 years when the wiper eventually fails and you have to buy another one.
If someone would build a quality version of this design, they would sell a million of them .
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two different models of the Harrell and would by another if money allowed. They are excellent.

RCBS is just about to drop the electronic powder dispensing system in their current catalogue. Apparently they are having troubles with their supplier. I've got one of these and liked it.

RCBS has unvailed at the most recent Shot Show an entirely new model from a new vendor (I don't know who) so if you are interested in a high tech powder system you might want to wait a few months to see the new RCBS unit.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I have a Harrell's and it is an excellent unit. There isn't a stick powder it doesn't meter reasonably well. The problem is that occasionally it will chop a kernel and when it does, that charge will be slightly off. And, I totally agree with the other posters re the Lee for the stick powders. The biggest problem with it is getting it set for a particular charge whereas on the Harrell's all you have to do is dial it in.

Actually, I use the Harrell's quite a bit to dump in my Pact trickler/scale system which truly speeds things up. With the micrometer adjustment of the Harrell's you can get within a coupld of tenths of the desired charge and then let the trickler do its thing. I was disappointed recently in being unable to find the tricklers for sale any more. Looks like they may have discontinued.

The Harrell's is particularly good for loading many cases for things like a PD shoot, or other volume shooting. It's so accurate you'll never know the difference between weighing each charge and just dumping them direct from the Harrell's.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Recono is exactly right. The Harrell is top-notch, but designed for benchrest and BR powders. The larger extruded powders pass marvelously through the Lee.....(cheap piece of s***, but boy does it work). Wear it out, buy another. You can buy 6 or 7 of these for the price of one of the expensive measures.
Trust your scale? Lee dippers and a trickler can be fast and accurate also. But, I'm getting wordy. You get the point.
Dennis

Posts: 13 | Location: SW of Houston,Texas | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS uniflow and the Harrell. Once set up for ball powder, the RCBS is quite consistent but not in the league with the Harrell. The Harrell is much quicker to set up with the dial set feature and more repeatable over time. Stick powders like Varget flow better through the Harrell than the uniflow, but you do get a "cruncher" every so often. Definately a great product, but certainly not inexpensive.