Notify
Tools

Texas Food Plots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Anyone plan anything this year?

I just got through putting in about 10 acres of Soybeans and White Maize.

Anyone else plant anything?

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I posted questions about Wi food plots but no bites yet. I am haveing 3 acres bordering a cedar swamp, clear cut and am going to use Round Up, work the soil, lime with the pellets, fertilize and plant. I am leaning towards Fall Buck but am still up in the air on the seed. I read one site about grains like Rye being good. I hope to make an educated decission [Confused] , but that would be a first [Wink] !

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Dick,

I do not know anything about your area. Mine is about as opposite of yours as can be.

We do not need lime, nor do we have trees [Big Grin] !

If it will grow in your area, plant white maize. Unlike red or yellow maize, the white has a lot lower tannin content. Tannin is bitter.

Ask about brown mid-rib- sorghum. My deer love it.

Try any of the cow peas. Soybeans, iron clay cow peas, purple hull peas, lablab etc.

If you are dong a spring plot, consult with you couty extension agent. He might be able to tell you what to plant and when.

I like alfalfa in the fall ... but that is just me and my deer. Your milage may vary.

I have experimented with different foods; maize, sorghum, beans, alfalfa, peas. What I have discovered is that your best money is put into fertilizer. My ground is pretty poor so I applied about 800 lbs/acre in one area and about 300 #/acre in the other plots. The heavily fertilized area drew more deer than all of the other areas combined.

Find a local Coop and tell them what you are doing. My coop fills one of their "ground spreaders" to apply the fertilizer. Of course I buy about 2000-4000 lbs. depending on the year.

[ 04-29-2003, 19:34: Message edited by: Wendell Reich ]

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote