New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Plots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After allowing the tilled buckwheat to rot a couple weeks, i spread four-50 lb bags of 19-19-19 and sowed the field in a fall mix. It contains turnips, rape, chickory, rye, a couple clovers, and some other stuff. I got enough to plant an acre, but this plot is probably less than an acre so it's planted thick. Then, i took a 10'length of chainlink fence and weighed it down and dragged it behind the ATV to cover the seeds. Now if we just get some rain.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to set your plots in long rows next to cover. They tend to be more active. Our disk is 8ft wide and we make 2 passes about 50ft long. If youe are going to plant rye only plant cereal rye (elbon). Whitetails ony eat grass when there is nothing left to eat. The cereal rye will add more nutrients to the soil when it dies. If you can find garden seed in bulk bins at a farm store try carrots, okra, lettuce, etc. Find out what they like. Purina Mills makes a plot mix called Texas Perfect 10. It is a staged grow product that works great around here.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker,

I'm doing some thing similiar. IU cut some trees in a wood lot this fall for fuel. I ran the tiller thru the area where it was opened up and spread abut the same stuff. I just got a bunch of rain this weekend and we'll see how it does. I really need to throw some lime on it to get it going. I put 2 bow stands in the area, so I hope it does well.

Good luk on yours!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my seed from Hammond Farms. It was sorta pricey, but good entertainment. The field is knee high now and the deer are really going after it. There was six in there this evening. I get a little something outta there too, big 'ol turnips, the tops and bottoms are both good.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote