Find
Notify
Tools

biologic clover plus
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted
anyone used biologic clover plus? I am in extreme southwest missouri and wondering if it is to late to plant?

Married men live longer than single men do,

but married men are a lot more willing to die.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I used a Biologic mix last year and could not have been more disappointed. It was not clover, it was rape, turnips and a few others.

Keep in mind I planted oats, barley and alfalfa in different places in the same field that came up just fine and had deer on it, so I had something to compare it to.

There are possibilities, like, it tasted so good the deer just ate it up as soon as it came up, or I did something wrong ... you never know. But, I won't waste my money on it again.

Their clover may be different though. I would try it once. If it didn't work for me, I wouldn't use it again.

I usually try a few different crops, see which ones work and which ones fail. I would recommend that approach.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion.....research what you want to plant and then go to a feed/seed store to buy. I'm not sure Biologic is the best way to go and if you ask for the "seed expert" at Wally Mart you get a real funny look!!

Mid September is probably a good time to plant if you have the moisture.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the suggestions guys, I thought I would let you know what I found out. I went to the local Farmers Exchange in hopes of finding someone that could tell me about clover seed and I hit the jackpot. The guy running the Exchange use to raise whitetails for several hunting ranchs. He sold his farm and opened the store. He tells me that the clover that is used in most of the expensive "foot plot" are a broad leaf clover that holds a high protien content. He had a clover seed that he said was the same thing that was in the high dollar stuff for $2.00 a lb and he had a food plot mix that was 15 dollars for 50 lbs. He said that now is the perfect time to plant, but that it is really a crap shoot because the plants need about 30 days to get a good root system developed and it may frost before that, but we have had so little rain this year that we are just now getting enough ground moisture to get things to grow. I disked up my ground and planted last evening. I will let you know how it turns out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well all here is a report on the food plot. I put it in 1 month ago. the clover is still pretty small but the $15 for 50 lbs of food plot seed is coming up like crazy. I checked it last weekend and it looked good so I hunted over it yesterday for 3 hours and saw 11 deer. not bad for a 1 acre plot. I didn't see anything of any size this time but the trail cam tells me that there are a couple of nice deer there I just have to wait them out.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Cat Doc, Missed your post or would have responded earlier. The Clover Plus blend will do fine in your area and is a good choice for those who do not have reputable seed dealers close by. Ladino clover is the primary clover most often used in the US for deer plots and this seed is available at most farm stores at a significant savings. Chicory is a good addition to clover plots for the hot dry months.
Cereal grains winter wheat, rye, and oats are excellent for the cool months and into winter.
Brassicas are excellent for late fall and usually hit pretty hard by the deer after the first hard freeze or two.
Visit the QDMA Forum for detailed information on food plots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quarter round many thanks for the advice on that QDMA website. i had never seen that website and hope to glean some insight from there. Many thanks Nate

Posts: 59 | Location: Ok city, OK | Registered: 21 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Nate, Glad to be of assistance. The QDM site was very helpful to us. For many years we hap-hasardly planted feed plots and had some results, but not the best. During the past two years we've used the QDMA to glean information on establishing food plots that are beneficial to the wildlife year around. In the second year the benefits are noticeable in the health of the deer. Long term plans will enhance game cover and reduce annual tractor time and costs.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Pennington seed has a forage blend they're really crowing about,,rackmaster is what they call it,you should also put out some crab apple trees,,taxus yews,,dawn redwood,leyland cypress and some virginia ceader,pure deer candy!!,Happy planting!!!Clay,,P.s.,,they seem to have an affinity for pansys as well

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
local Co-op has what is called "big buck blend". close look at the tag shows its 100% soybeans

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote