New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabbits - shotgun questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've done a fair amount of rabbit hunting over the past few years. Mostly its been in windbreaks and on the edges of woods on private farms. I've used everything from 12 gauge to .410's. If I've just been after rabbits I'll take the 410 with extra full choke and head shots. But if I'm after phesants, I have taken rabbits with the 12 also, trying to be careful not to damage the meat too much. Tough to do.

I'm planning on getting a bit more serious about it and taking my kids on some of the hunts. I thought about using the following:

Marlin 410 lever cylinder bore, 2.5" shells only
Stevens 311 SxS, 3", Mod and full chokes
Marlin single shot, 3", extra full chokes

Will this get the job done or do I have to get something a bit bigger? I have a SxS 20ga being a bit more open than I/M I could use.

What about you guys who use hounds? I'd imagine they'd flush farther out and fast so what do you use?

Think I could get by with just the .410s?

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
You could get by, obviously, but can the kids...???

To me a 410 is an experts gun. Use a 20 gauge for the kids and let them work up. Don't expect many head shots from them too soon either!

Have fun!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno...haven't done a lot of bunny huntin' in a long while...learned the art with an H&R Topper, .410 Full/3" #6 was my recipe. Worked fine for squill too. Bullfrogs and 1 Woody. Couldn't hit a dove or quail fer crap though. My Nephew has the gun now and can't miss a quail hardly at all... Confused

I think the biggest problem with .410s is they seldom fit a kid properly, they are often improperly choked, and people aren't selective enough with ammo choice. 2-1/2" for clays, 3" for things that bleed. Full choke...period. #6 and #7-1/2 shot for fur and feather in that order, and keep the distance short. JMO.

A 20 ga. is likely a better choice for all of that...

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
I bust rabbit with my contender,,it has a 10" barrel,,does fine,,I picked up a winchester 37A .410 shotgun with youth stock,,It's waiting in the vault for him,,maby next year thumb,,The only thing is I hate loading .410 shells,,,I'd vote on the marlin,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I oncet had a father-son pair of Winchester 37s, but had to sell them as people kept offering me money for them....

They was murder on rabbits, squill and various and sundry other critters. I found the youth .410 to be exceptional.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote