Find
Notify
Tools

You guys ain't nothin......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Check out this link.

He is hunting cats with a Coehorn Mortar for long range cat hunting.

That is really called Giten-R-Done

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm

You guy ain't nothin with the little guns.....This is a man's way of killin' em'

clap

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Seriously!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Hello sb45,
On this same sight they shot a buck with a 12 pound cannon.Check it out.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do admire his way of thinking. Remember, deny, deny, deny...it's always somebody else's fault! Wink

And to think that some can't hit a prairie dog at that range with a .223 bolt gun...

Dan

POTYHC

www.HeadShots.Rule

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poletax:
Hello sb45,
On this same sight they shot a buck with a 12 pound cannon.Check it out.

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

That wasn't a small game animal so i didn't post that. I will post that on the Big Bores and see what feedback I get.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
you guys need to try this,
1. cut top and bottom off two beer cans and top off one
2. join cans end to end(duct tape?)
3. aquire cannon fuse
4. soak tennis balls in gasoline/powdered detergent
5.load cannon
6.aim at crats and fire(mass groupings are preffered) caution do not use in drought areas cheers

Posts: 21 | Location: bc michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Erik....I been considering your words...and think you keep talking like that the Army is going to conscript you and send you to the Zone so's we can get it all wrapped up in a colorful way. Wink

Terrific Visual BTW, my hat is off to ya! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.CratsN.Gas

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-did you ever shoot one of those guns? In Phu Bai, we had a Mohawk unit and their callsign was Spud whatever. Their club was obviously the Spud club, and we made Spud guns to shoot tennis balls. Usually RLOs against the WOPA guys--and if you popped your head up from behind the table at the wrong time, a tennis ball between the eyes would really smart.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I've killed crats with a cast iron skillet.

Try it some time...... animal

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, never did such a thing Dustoffer. I have played Deadbug with Marines down Chu Lai way though. Big Grin

One aspect of my first tour heretofore unrevealed to anyone is that I was designated the Scout Platoon Ordnance Officer. Now if that wasn't puttin' the fox in charge of the chicken coop I dunno what is. I once traded a C-rat box full of pen flare kits to 1st Marine Recon for 1800 pounds of C4, fuse and ignitors...it was the beginning of the end for many problems. thumb I gotta admit that be some FUN stuff! beer Lots of stories there, maybe I'll dole them out along the way...

We had a lot of supply problems early in that tour, and frequently found ourselves short on solutions. At one point Division HQ looked askance at our consumption of WP grenades and decreed that in the future we(the Troop) would be limited to 4 cases/month, that being predicated on the idea that an infantry platoon seldom needs more than that. KEE-rhist, we were going thru that in 2 days! Well, they had not reckoned on my problem in understanding the word "no". Wink I met a lot of supply sargents in dark places after that...and we lived happily ever after.

Our standard ordnace package for the mission was 2000 rds for the Mini, or M60, depending upon congiguration, a dozen smoke grenades in tropical colors, half dozen frags, concussion, thermite grenades and 10-12 WP's with which we did our best work. One day we burned the A Shau Valley down, a truly Biblical event! cheers
Personal weapons and ammo were the responsibility of individual crew members, I carried an M-16, a Winchester Mod 12, and a S&W .38...and lotsa bullets. Truth of it was, if we got shot down Chuck's worst problem wasn't the Snakes, it was us if we weren't injured...whole lot of firepower on board. Mostly the Mod 12(which I named Da Judge) was used to shoot monkeys...but that's another story too. Couple of them now that I think of it...

Dan

POTYHC

www.HereCome.DaJudge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD,

Hadn't thought of deadbug in a long time. I used to play some too until one night at NKP a visiting A-4 jock did a "push off" and hit his head on the round steel foot rest on the stool behind him. It tore the top of his skull off and he bled out pretty quick. Not sure what story his family was told.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I know I probably sound like a stuck record, but with you descriptive and writing abilities you really should put all of you experiences to paper before they are lost to the younger generation.
Besides which, think of all the nifty ordenance you could get with the money made from such a book! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lowrider, believe it or not that's the second time I've heard that tale. First was from Dad, he spent a bit of time over there nursin' Thuds and RB-66's(Invaders?). Anyhoo, we were too hard headed to get hurt doing such things...probably why they put us up with the Jarheads at MAG-13 in Chu Lai by the sea. We didn't play GCA though...didn't have enough ice. Big Grin We....

Oh boy.... Cool Out doing a recon one AM and got my shit shot full of holes, flopped down in a leech infested rice paddy a few Klicks away. The guy that picked up where I left off found that I had stumbled into a battalion sized bunker complex. Anyhoo, by the time I got back to Tam Ky there was a big assed column of black smoke where the complex was. It seemed they had called for Tac-air, and the MAG-13 boys had dispatched two F-4's laden with fuel and ordnance. Now it was hardly far enough from Chu Lai for them to get their gears retracted, but by the time they were on station they had their mission brief from the FAC, and lead rolled in, put the pipper on the smoke put down by the FAC....and had a hydraulic failure. Red Face

If you go to the emergency checklist of the F-4, and look under hydraulic failure you'll find it a very short section..."EJECT, EJECT, EJECT!!!" Semper Fi! wave

Well, they did that, and Glory be to God, the Phantom stayed right on track...full fuel, 12,000# of ordnance...hit dead center on the smoke marker. OMG!!! jumping Those guys were SERIOUS!! Cool Well, numba 2 became lead, asked the FAC what to do with his bombs...not sure how that conversation went but he left, never to be seen again that day. Lead and his RIO floated down, watched the whole thing unfold and managed to not land in the flames or the 100'+ crater they'd made with their 'bomb'. We picked one up, the Jarheads got the other...and by odd providence there was a floor show at their club that night. Smiler We did start a bit early I admit, but still, it was a big club...you'd a thought they wouldn't have run out of liquor at 2000 hours would ya? Confused Some of us walked back to the troop, some crawled, some slept in the dirt. It was a GRAND night...we played Deadbug a lot...don't have a clue who won or lost, and to this day some of my best friends are Jarheads. Even some that are from the South!

BTW, my cohorts didn't take anymore fire from that complex after that... pissers Charlie.

Semper Coonass! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.YouAreTooKind.Derf!

Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
dan ... the army is where i learnt that particular trick. also something w a slingshot and m-80s

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deerf,

Dan is very talented!!

Some things are best left unwritten....some need pictures to be meaningful....some are best forgotten.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
erik, I do recall the homemade recipe...what they call 'field expedient' I think...for napalm. The thing with the tennis balls and such, well, I never got to that chapter I guess. Confused Especially with mortars...

Dan

POTYHC

www.Balls.SaidTheCannonCocker!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I've been sitting here for ten minutes laughing like a loon! Man, that is really funny. I particularly liked the trophy photo near the end.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ARhunter42019
posted Hide Post
well, my story hasn't got anything on Dan's buuut, i have been fortunate enough to be in the F.O. Tower on a Marine Corp Mortar range during an HE live fire when a bovine somehow wandered onto the range, and when i say onto the range i mean it's tail swooshed and tapped one of the dumpsters the 41's were using as targets. Long story short, one of the mortarmen (fresh from SOI) moved his sights wrong on the last adjustment, and before we could call cease fire over the radio.... an HE round landed CENTER OF THE COW'S BACK! the range was set up on #'s (Gun 1 fires, Gun 2 fires etc...) i remember the platoon commander getting on the radio and after he got the cease fire called, he told the Range XO to "Let gun 3 know they have a confirmed kill" The range XO flipped, and wanted to know the sit, when the platoon commander who could barely keep from laughing came across with "Confirmed Kill on a Cow" there was a moment of silence on the other end followed by some keying up, hysterical laughter for about 1 second, then unkeying... i know a cow isn't small game but i rarely get a chance to tell that story, and there was talk of mortars dammit LOL

The chainsaw says: Run Kit Kitt Kitty

Posts: 84 | Location: Cat Hell, where cats suffer | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is funny! jumping

Semper Fi! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.BoutPessed.MeSharts!

Picture of eriklupust
posted Hide Post
boys i hope yall had a cookout that night. hate to see that much meat go to waste.(it was probaly all burgers anyway).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burgers??? Them grunt cooks probably turned it into "shit on a shingle" since it was halfway there already!
Whilst in the Armoured Militia we took out a deer with the 30 in the bow position of a Sherman but us Troopies never did get any of it, it went to the NCO's.
Hey Terry, how do you think that story would go over at that other site/BO?? Eeker Roll Eyes Wink Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote