Find
Notify
Tools

New scoring procedure
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Here is a suggestion for a new scoring procedure that might be helpful in evaluating field lion shooting excellenceFrowner1)at the shot the ranch cougar saunters off. (2)the porch panther springs into the air, lands, streaks away like a rocket and disappears in the brush. (3)to be defined. (4)to be defined. (5)fighting tom runs 1/4 mile, bleeds out. (6) simply flops over with hole in head. (7)to be defined. (8)to be defined. (9)lap lynx explodes into 2 parts. (10)to be defined. Haven't got all the details yet, but # 10(highest level) should be rather dramatic. Perhaps experienced shooters can help define the levels. That way when someone says they made a #4 shot on a brindle tom at 60 yards, we'll know. Have to have scores before medals can be awarded. Probably should specify arm, for example 270 Win.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Good initiative!

I presume that at #10, identification of species must be done by a forensic laboratory? If you still can see it is (was) a crat, it is a #9? Hmmm... Forensics is Ann's speciality. Any input here?

Oh, by the way, we should all write to Bill Gates and demand that "crat" should be included in Microsoft's spellchecker!

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does it come to be that someone has inserted a negative blue face into my post? Someone who would such a thing will read your personal mail and do evil things as a sneak. ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some comments:

For numbers one and two, I don't think any score should be allowed unless the crat is harvested, or at least damaged. Also, the scoring system seems biased in favor of more powerful weapons. This is not a bad thing with crats, but perhaps you then need separate scoring with primitive equipment such as muzzloaders, bow and arrow, thrown rocks, etc.

In one of the "to be defined" categories, I would submit: "crat crawls a few yards with entrails dragging" I will not suggest a number, as I have a couple of those and wouldn't want to be trying to affect my score.

I also have a #1 (oh the shame), and a #5, though not quite a 1/4 mile though.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This needs to be a big league thing measure the skull dry.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Can't always be done, sometimes there ain't no skull left. roflmao

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would you score a proximity kill, where the sonic boom of the projectile or a nearby burst kills the lawn leopard without leaving a mark on its body?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would leave room for devine powers to score that'n 120mm, unless the shot is called, sorta like this:

Gunner: Target 1 O'clock, 1720 meters, two gomers in a mosque.

Commander: Load HE.

Gunner: Loaded! Additional targets at base of Mosque, two crats copulating!

Commander: Target Crats!

Gunner: Sir, I can get 'em all with one shot!

Commander: Case of beer says no!

Gunner: BUWHAAAHAAA!

Commander: FIRE!

I'd call that a 4 and a 10, provided there is no pelt damage. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Collateral.Damage

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
#10,,,,does anyone here remember a video clip of some sort of small rocket spiraling into a crat and violently exploding on contact? It was posted here in the hight of the ghengis era..Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
#8-target reduced to multiple parts
#9-no single part of target weighs more than 1/4 the original target's weight.
#10-Target not identifiable from over 10 feet away.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never saw that one Clay, sure would like to though Cool! Always thought a TOW missle would be ideal for running targets, especially when they skedattle up under a shiny new Escalade. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.RunIfYouWill.HideIfYouCan

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I was walking down the sidewalk and a guy in
an Escalade parallel parked ahead of me and got out. I did the usual "Howdy" and for some reason I don't understand asked the driver "You know what an Escalade really is?" He said no and I said "A Yukon with a sucker for a driver".

I'm sorry, sometimes things come out that aren't needed.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Dan,,,The list does'nt go far enough back,,,Only covers ghengis in his dying gasps,,In reading the archives,,,you,derf,ned,and,myself are the soul survivors.Not trying to brag,,,I really miss the rest of the "old"gang,,,yet another tear in my eye,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the ongoing process of evolution I suppose. Frowner

I received an email from one BBTurtle about 3 weeks ago and promised to jump back in at any moment...still waiting for that. His humor was a rare commodity in all of its permutations. Many others are lost in the field of battle with the evil crats, leave a light on for them. Wink

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.ValorAnd.RealWarriors

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scoring system is biased against the valiant hunters operating in urban settings. Trying for a 10 would get 'em 10 years!!

quote:
Originally posted by Old Elk Hunter:
I was walking down the sidewalk and a guy in
an Escalade parallel parked ahead of me and got out. I did the usual "Howdy" and for some reason I don't understand asked the driver "You know what an Escalade really is?" He said no and I said "A Yukon with a sucker for a driver".

I'm sorry, sometimes things come out that aren't needed.

OEH, Try and stay away from black folks drivin' Pontiacs Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Clay, DDan
Sometime you lose good men in the fields. I for one, being recruited late in the conflict, will try to hold the line where these good men fell. gunsmile
As for scoring, I'll let the veterans decide. Eeker 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scoring system is biased against the valiant hunters operating in urban settings. Trying for a 10 would get 'em 10 years!!

Be creative! Living in an incorporated area requires the excessive use of stealth and creativity...a 10, in my proposed system, could be obtained with a lighted grill and a little time...firearms not required.

Besides, a 10 SHOULD be hard to obtain...only the elete need apply!

My Dad had a #2 last week...parted the damn crats hair...but it hasn't come back either! I told him to sight in the new .22 and aim for the center of mass...not the left eye.

www.showoff.parents

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10's are rare CDH, the degree of difficulty hard to put to words. I haven't had one that I recall, but I keep trying.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.SixGuns.Blazin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more comments to consider. Perhaps higher #s should include both degree of difficulty and effect on target. You guys are right, the score is biased in favor of weaponry. There probably should be an old age and treachery component in there too for a couple of us, to offset the youth and gonzo effect of some others here. I can't toss one much more than forty yards or so anymore. Somehow I figure Hughjass is good for a 100. All levels need a degree of difficulty part addressing both the perp and the target, for example, "shot paw off cat while disengaging rabid rattlesnake with fangs embedded in left buttock." That was a tough one, I'm telling you. But shhit happens. Some of the lowest scores of course are entirely biased toward difficulty of the effort, especially in view of near misses and great escapes. I missed a huge evil tom one time with my F-150 although I did not miss the red hydrant that ripped off the right A-frame and door and brought me to a screeching halt just short of a telephone pole right after the miss. I liked that durn truck too. You must keep a firm grip on things. We should accept honest estimates of lion size, ferocity, cunning, and tenacity too. Dan needs a airborne/paper patch component. For 120mm I would suggest scoring overpressure kills a great bit lower than DRAGON LADY'S landing of the maimed quail nymph on a cat's nose around the corner of the barn in a strong headwind. That would get my vote. Everyone had some great thoughts about some further refinements to allow for some miscellaneous weaponry like pool que, brick, hammer, conibear, etc.. Lets keep working of this lest the age old traditions disappear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Can't always be done, sometimes there ain't no skull left. roflmao

Hog Killer
Sometimes you have to put aside issues of personal safety for the glory of a tropy.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clay, my honesty forces me to admit that even I am post Ghengis! Eeker It's true. Even though I feel like I have been here forever and fondly recall the prose of BBTurtle, compared to Dan, I am still a newbie!
Enough of the boohoo ! How about using a Mathews Feathermax set to 56 pounds and a 45 yard "Hail Mary"! Thus far I am good for 1 out of four in the bulls-umm, catseye! derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My uncle tells me about when he used to have a .22-250. He says you have to load it up to 4000 fps. He says I owe it to myself in fact. The reason for this of course is the devastating effect. Now I have some 40 gr. Vmax's and a recipe from Hodgdon for over 4100 fps. I am thinking about shooting for the nose on a facing critter. I am assuming that this would score around a 7 or so for the effect and the difficulty in positioning. Alternatively it would also be great as a going away shot, but would have to score lower since the crat would not be able to see you. Comments?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh, add .2 for each 100 yards beyond 300, and .5 pts if it isn't stationary. My .03 worth. BTW, I think the hot rock .22's are at a decided disadvantage if you use range to pump up the score. They will kill a fer piece off, but loose their spectacular nature around 300-400 yards. I whacked on at 400 yards with an 85 gr BT that left the muzzle at 3500 fps, then the crats muzzle left him for parts undetermined. Larger bores rule at long range, try the .338 beyond a mile if you've got a good eye.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Regular.Bob

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Hugh, add .2 for each 100 yards beyond 300, and .5 pts if it isn't stationary. My .03 worth. BTW, I think the hot rock .22's are at a decided disadvantage if you use range to pump up the score. They will kill a fer piece off, but loose their spectacular nature around 300-400 yards. I whacked on at 400 yards with an 85 gr BT that left the muzzle at 3500 fps, then the crats muzzle left him for parts undetermined. Larger bores rule at long range, try the .338 beyond a mile if you've got a good eye.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Regular.Bob

Dan, is that the reason you got the 416 Rigby bewildered Long range crat blast'n sofa

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could I get a level 3 for the mid-size puss I got with a Whammo slingshot and .451 roundball? Shot was pretty straightforward at 15 yards, cat was nondescript, I was loaded.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I need an accurate score on a cat shooting. Lived out of town on a gravel road. The townies often came out and liberated their unwanted cats. One day I was walking back from some pheasant hunting near my house. A well dressed lady stopped her Cadillac and asked if I knew where a good place to free some cats were. She had five unwanted and now weaned kittens that she thought would do well out here in the "country". I told her to put the box of cats on a nearby tree stump. After she put the box on the stump and got back in her car she asked me if the kittens would have a good life now that they were in the country. I told her yes, they would, but it would be a short life. She seemed concerned and asked why their lives would be short. I turned and emptied my shotgun
into the box of kittens. She totally freaked out, started up her car and left quickly. I figured I cured her of ever dropping the unwanted and soon to be feral non-indigenous predators off in the "country" again.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
HK, yes it is. I think it will double for close in charges when loaded with 200 grain HBWC's loaded backwards. I was studying up on that, I think I can get about 3300 fps and with a paper patch and hard alloy and will even get to the target with a degree of effect not yet seen on this earth.

NS, I'd go for a 4.2 at least, extra credit for "loaded" and even for the Whammo. They never were that powerful IMO.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Rigbys.Rule

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
HK, yes it is. I think it will double for close in charges when loaded with 200 grain HBWC's loaded backwards. I was studying up on that, I think I can get about 3300 fps and with a paper patch and hard alloy and will even get to the target with a degree of effect not yet seen on this earth.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Rigbys.Rule

Dan,

A good idea, on the inverted HBWCs. But try this instead. Get some Speer swaged 38 HBWC, then with a long strip of paper give it a paper jacket. It will need to be long enough to wrap around about 9 or 10 times to build it up to .416". This is to still be loaded inverted. I am thinking that this combo should reach the sub-nucular level of expantion.

Hog Killer

PS: 416-358=58/2=29, paper usally = .003

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter, That has got to be at least a nine. While you did not have a devastating effect on the cats, you did on their former owner!! No points for degree of difficulty using a shotgun on a stationary target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OEH,

spontaneity - 1.3
innovation - 2.5
reflexes - 1.1
smooth talk - 1.8
surprise index - 2.8

total 9.5

Keep up the good work!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.Olympic.Scoring

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
OEH,,,I'll give you a 10 on that one,,,,It reminds me of a chat I had with a health inspector one day regarding some ferals by a camp I oversaw,,,Telling me it was my obligation to have them spayed/neutered,,and vaccinised,,,I was pulling my rifle from behind the seat of my truck as he was backing down the driveway,,,,he stopped for a sec. then kept on backing away,,,,The next inspection he never saw a single rodent,,and checked off that infraction without a single question about the whereabouts of them.Clay