Find
Notify
Tools

The tabby scenario
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Outside my computer room window is where I've been feeding small birds, while awaiting deer season and helping out around here. A couple of days ago I watched a medium sized orange and white tabby grab a dove and slink off with it. I got my post hole diggers and dug a hole nearly 5 feet deep close to the spot. Then I bent an eye in a 2 1/2 foot long piece of 3/8" rebar and drove it in to within a foot of the bottom of the hole and added a bit of ready mix till the eye was nearly covered. I already had a nice old counter balance spring, extra heavy duty, from an old washing machine. It was like an old fashioned garage door spring and I hooked one end to the embedded eye at the bottom of the hole. I was making a spring powered deadfall, that instead of a log or big rock on top of the fall to give weight to the drop when triggered, I was going to have a super spring that would pull the fall down when it was triggered. Well, it turned out I needed a chainfall to "cock" the spring and set the figure-4 trigger. and I had to be extra careful strowing pine straw around to hide the pit the giant spring was in when it was all set, and that included baiting with fancy beast crat food. Nothing happened the first day. The second day, I heard a GIANT WHACK just before my first coffee and I knew what that was. I went to the computer room and looked out to see an orange/white striped tail sticking out from under the "fall" part of the trap. I had the chainfall rigged by 10:00 and the fall lifted pretty soon. You guessed, FLAT CAT, with tail. Looked like the work an S-10 does when chased by a fleet of 18 wheelers. I just scraped and rolled up the grease stain, tied the roll with the tail sticking out and put the cat in the newspaper box next door, where it used to live. I did not reset the suprise machine but its ready. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N.S.,

Damned inspiring!!...pussy swatter extraorinaire!! My compliments for your innovation!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Li rike sound of this GIANT WHACK. Have many uses. Li go study now. Thank you Mr. N. S. Sherlock. Wirr ret you know.

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
In south Texas, this is called a tortilla! Photos of the machine!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I dunno gas, filled with tasties in a flattened outer covering... cook it and I would have to call it a quesadilla. beer

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Have you applied for a patent?

"And this too shall pass."

Posts: 55 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Nah! I do this to benefit humanity, and have fun at the same time. Sort of a philosopher-inventor/crat whacker I might say.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote