Find
Notify
Tools

Bowling for Cats
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Well, I mave been goofing off lately and a couple of cats have been scoping out my cat attractor, er, bird feeder. I saw the paw prints on the F-150 one morning a few days ago and caught a glimpse of tabby as I drove into the yard. It just so happens that I've been thinking about really clobbering a fat orange tom with a bowling ball ever since I smushed one with a big rock a while back. I got a section of chute from a cement mixer truck and mounted it on the edge of the garage roof with a 4 foot drop in 8 foot run. Smoothed out the plant bed underneath and drop tested a gently released sixteen pound bowling for impact. Actually scored a 77, 2X on a SR-1 laying on the ground underneath the end of the chute. The ball would smush a gallon if industrial pack green beans pretty darn good too. Then I rigged up an electric remote control door lock solenoid with the plunger sticking up in the middle of the shute holding the ball from dropping and tested until I had the trigger length just right to silently release the ball. More testing on impact targeting too. Then I cuisinartly finely chopped a can of sardines in oil with a pound of rotten tuna from my buddy Jim at the meat dept. of the food store and smeared it all over the shute and ball. The sneaky cats soon adapted to the equipment and to the automatically triggered yard light I installed to observe their deperdations in the yard. I poured a 24" square pad of ready-mix using my secret catnip/stinky salmon additive right at the 10X place in the plant bed and did the sardine/tuna confidence building test again. I was ready to go bowling for cats from the comfort of my den with a couple of cat hating hunting buddies for witnesses. We were soon betting on which of the three crats would buy the dirt nap. About halfway into a bottle of Bacardi Gold, the yard light popped on and sure enough we watched three suburban cougars sneak in to the pad and start growling and pawing as they fought for position at the little cast-in bowl on the pad. I gave Jim the honor of triggering the solenoid in recognition of his support in the bait department over the years. Just then he hit the remote, the ball dropped, and STRIKE!!!!!. No spare to worry about for Jim. By the time the rum was gone they even dug the hole for me. What a pleasant winter of bowling. N.S. Sherlock

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have WAY to much time on your hands!!!!

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ned, you tripped me up on that, and properly too. clap As soon as I read the post title I had visions of driving down Tin Pan Alley in the truck with Tick and Billy Bob chucking bowling balls over the side at about 60ish mph...less chance of hitting them I know, but it has more range. I suppose the possibility of collateral damage must be evaluated prior to the fact... I always found Bacardi Gold to be my favorite while bowling as well. Very Smooth stuff. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.TwoBallsFerA.SevenTenSplit

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Talk about suspense! I'm liking that one Ned Big Grin

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please, I want to see a pic of this invention.

Posts: 53 | Location: Washington | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Hot Damn.
Thats what I jumped up and said at work.My two other Cube Prairie Dawgs perked up outta their "Internet Daze' and of course wanted to know what was so indearing.I have worked with these guys long enuff to deduct that their sheltered lifestyle could not cope with the Truth. Smiler
I told them that I had a notice from E-bay about a auction I had won.Something to chase them away from the Real World.
For $31.75 plus shipping,I won a wireless toothbrush.
Works everytime.
Back to thread topic title,I thought if I won a game of Bowling , I won some cats.

Sheet fire , talk about exploding targets.
Even with the sobering realization,I was pleased with the ingenuity of senior member N. S.

Salute to you sir.
thumb

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds really neat!!!I've been saving a couple of bowling balls that I found in my travels,,Quite shure that setting up a rig like that on my roof would be the last piece of evidence my wife would need to finally get me committed to the farm,,,Please squish one for me there Ned!!! Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. S. Sherlock:
Well, I mave been goofing off lately and a couple of cats have been scoping out my cat attractor, er, bird feeder. I saw the paw prints on the F-150 one morning a few days ago and caught a glimpse of tabby as I drove into the yard. It just so happens that I've been thinking about really clobbering a fat orange tom with a bowling ball ever since I smushed one with a big rock a while back. I got a section of chute from a cement mixer truck and mounted it on the edge of the garage roof with a 4 foot drop in 8 foot run. Smoothed out the plant bed underneath and drop tested a gently released sixteen pound bowling for impact. Actually scored a 77, 2X on a SR-1 laying on the ground underneath the end of the chute. The ball would smush a gallon if industrial pack green beans pretty darn good too. Then I rigged up an electric remote control door lock solenoid with the plunger sticking up in the middle of the shute holding the ball from dropping and tested until I had the trigger length just right to silently release the ball. More testing on impact targeting too. Then I cuisinartly finely chopped a can of sardines in oil with a pound of rotten tuna from my buddy Jim at the meat dept. of the food store and smeared it all over the shute and ball. The sneaky cats soon adapted to the equipment and to the automatically triggered yard light I installed to observe their deperdations in the yard. I poured a 24" square pad of ready-mix using my secret catnip/stinky salmon additive right at the 10X place in the plant bed and did the sardine/tuna confidence building test again. I was ready to go bowling for cats from the comfort of my den with a couple of cat hating hunting buddies for witnesses. We were soon betting on which of the three crats would buy the dirt nap. About halfway into a bottle of Bacardi Gold, the yard light popped on and sure enough we watched three suburban cougars sneak in to the pad and start growling and pawing as they fought for position at the little cast-in bowl on the pad. I gave Jim the honor of triggering the solenoid in recognition of his support in the bait department over the years. Just then he hit the remote, the ball dropped, and STRIKE!!!!!. No spare to worry about for Jim. By the time the rum was gone they even dug the hole for me. What a pleasant winter of bowling. N.S. Sherlock

This I like. thumb

I would suggest an improvement: Rig up a breakbeam setup so you can leave it primed, day and night. You'll get crats even when you're sleeping.

If you can rig up a magazine, with the pad designed to roll the ball out of the way, well, think of the possibilities!

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote