New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats Up Guys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Havent been around for a while, thought Id check in. Hows the cat, or is it crat now, populations holding up? Anything from Bierman lately? How about the cat loving goofballs that jump our butts from time to time?

I killed another one of the feared field lions a few days ago. The little bastard has been hanging around the neighborhood all summer. I thought it was my elderly neighbors cat. I popped one of his a couple years ago, but his wife died and hes a nice guy, sooo, I figgered Id give his cats a repreive, as they are all he has to talk to anymore, hes a nice guy. Well, I met him in the yard and commented on his new friend, the big dark grey, tiger striped trophy. To my delight, he said that wasnt his and wished it would go away. I left without saying goodbye. No time for chitchat, I had to plan an attack and weapons.

I got in the house and headed straight for the basement, the war room, to get some loads out and do some studying on his habits from my notes I had been making while patterning him all summer, just in case. He was due to strut across my back yard in approximately 45 minutes. YES. Action was just around the corner. I decided on the 17Rem, as he had a beautiful coat and would be a fine trophy. Then I realized, drat, I had cleaned the rifle recently and hadnt fired it to foul the barrell. I started to panic. He seemed to be a crafty quarry, and I didnt dare fire one now, this close to his scheduled crossing. I decided to take the chance, I ran a dry patch through it and hoped for the best.

Time was growing near, so I got into position. I selected the garage entry door as my attack position. I set up a chair and made a makeshift bench from two 2x8s laid across the doorway, got sandbags and ear protection on. I was ready for the brute to make his crossing.

As the time grew very near, my wife came home. She gave me a funny look as she parked in the garage and went into the house, but didnt say a word, shes used to it by now. Damn, she may have changed his course. No sooner than I trained my eye back on the trail and he appeared, in all his cocky glory. As he moved into posistion in the killing zone I made a slight squeak, and he stopped broadside, looking my way. This was it, I had him. I settled the crosshairs just behind his shoulder and gave the 2lb trigger a gentle squeeze and BANG. About the same time I saw the front half of the cat virtually vaporize from the impact of the 25gr Berger bullet, I also heard a glass break and a long string of expletives coming from the kitchen that would make a sailor blush. My startled wife had been loading the dishwasher and dropped a glass. (Women, who can understand them. What the hell did she think was going to happen, seeing me jacked in on a bench in the garage.)

I was horrified. My trophy was literally cut in half. Seems the clean barrell had sent my bullet an inch to the right and hit the shoulder bone instead of the breadbasket just behind. The little 25gr hollowpoint, travelling in the vicinity of 4100 fps had acted as a small bomb, destroying my trophy.

Oh well, back to hunting. It may take a while to get another that prime, but the hunt goes on.

Yote

Posts: 87 | Location: Eldon Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Head mounts are nice too!

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you're alive and well Yotes, ,Don't be a stranger,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yotes! Howzit? Glad you stopped by, and I'll second Clay, don't be a stranger!

Birman comes and goes, mostly goes. He's never quite recovered from the Golden Chopstix debacle. Few new hearty souls have joined in, others come and go. No new trolls in months! I miss that, but guess it is the view from the top so to speak.

Glad to hear you got the .17 dialed in, and I'll second Ned's thought...head mounts are good, and they take up less space. Don't know what to tell you about Mrs. Yotes, but don't trade her in, they're all like that about the sounds of combat.

Do stop by again, we've missed your after action reports!

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.OldHome.Week

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Yotes, good to hear from you! I have a couple of IPC's to spare, you interested? They leave nothing to mount or eat I'm afraid.

Jim

Posts: 113 | Location: TX | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!!!!!!!!! Hi Yotes. F.Y.I. A dead cat is a good cat! 338vt

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Yotes. And with a real fine after action report as well! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome back. Got some reading to do to catch up. Glad yall enjoyed that backyard safari.

I inspected the big tabby all over and their was no way of salvaging any of the hide,head or meat. That little bomb did a number on it.

I wont stay away so long anymore. You guys are too much fun..... I do hope some fag cat lover stops by though. I havent got a chance to flog anyone in ages....

Yote

Posts: 87 | Location: Eldon Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Hate to have to tell ya,,,,The lovers pretty much gave up the ghost [though kirk was having some issues a while ago]It's just us dedicated to the cause,,,and the war stories Kill'em ALL,,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote