New
Find
Notify
Tools

marking territory
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When male cats mark their territory, what does it smell like? There are a bunch of cats out by my shed. There is also this nasty smell kind of like 90 weight gear lube but only far more unpleasant. When I firsat smelled it I thought maybe my differential was leaking but I've since smelled it other places. I know there's a couple of toms out there in addition to about a half dozen smaller cats. I'm not really into shooting them but if that's whats causing the smell I will figure out something to.....uhhhh.........discourage them from hanging around.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the rifle, get the trap--you now have first-hand experience at identifying crat urine! It will go away with time if you do away with the reason--crats. But, the longer you wait, the more crats are gonna ID this spot as a public restroom.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max, seems that your new to the feline menace plaguing our fine country (and many others). So alow me to introduce you to my little friend. THE .17HMR!!!! This spectacular rifle has it all, speed penatration and explosive results on any communist crat that dare squirt its foul juices on you grounds. In other words friend if you dont want'em taking a piss under your shed, showem what a boomstick is all about. mgun Wink

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not really into shooting them

Hav-A-Hart em, and move em to a ritzty neighborhood. The people that live there are usually 'animal-righters'.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to trap and release the cats in the upscale neighborhoods after giving them a good painting with "The Olde Time Trapper's # 1 Skunk Essence". Then I learned that the county pound was overwhelmed with cats and short of help and put them down in 24 hours. Tactics evolve.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not really into shooting them

Then warm up your pickup on cold evenings...do it again a few hours later.

Dan

POTYHC

www.Viable.Alternatives

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this then, throw scraps into a bowl you dont want fill halfway with milk and the scraps. The other half with Anti-Freeze car liquid. If u notice stiff crats afterwards its because it crystalizes thier insides. Also you might could look into getting a dog. A water hose on a cold night will makem think twice about coming around too.

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake!

Posts: 325 | Location: Cordele, GA | Registered: 24 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
Need help removing them ? mgun
Have gun , will travel to shoot a few .

If to far for me , I am sure we can find a shooter for you . jumping

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Someone killed one of my mastiffs one time with anti-freeze.

That has to be about the absolute worst way I've ever heard of another living thing die.

I was at work, but my grandfather said he saw the dog acting funny, so he came up to my house to investigate, and ended up staying by the dog all evening. He said the dog just lay there staring vacantly while coughing and kicking for about 45 minutes with it's tongue swollen up so bad it wouldn't fit in it's mouth.

That mastiff never left our yards and wouldn't hurt or bother anybody. Best we can figure is maybe someone passing through was intimidated by his size.

I'm not sure about the "crystalized insides" since I didn't cut the dog open or anything, I just took him out back to bury him, but whatever anti-freeze does, it's a slow and agonizing way to go.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antifreeze ultimately causes death by kidney failure. Initially, the animal may appear "drunk". This initial phase passes and then later the renal symptoms begin. A rather unpleasant way to go.

MFH

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

Lead poisoning is terible too, but more instantaneous even when applied by a flintlock.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
some aisan guy was on 60 minutes a year or so ago convicted of trying to poison the nieghbors dogs with sausages pickled with anti-freeze,,after the dogs started acting funny,,the owners placed some nanny cams and saw what was happening first hand,,it was a no brainer,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with Toms marking my front screen door. I put a fine copper mesh on
my door mat in front of the door and ran a wire to one side of an electric fence device and ran
the other wire to the other side of the electric fence box. I would wait until a Tom was marking
and turn on the electric fence device. They launched out of there rather well.

Learn from the Tom's activities. If some neighbor ever irritates you, go over and squirt
ammonia on his front door. The cats will think it is a marking post. Then your neighbor will have to figure out how to get rid of them.

If you want to stop a Tom, find my posting about a Tom and a Corvette. I finally sold that car
because I couldn't get the smell out of it. I sold it on a cold winter day. Could not have sold it in the summer.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't seen the toms around for a few days. I'm hoping they ran into problems somewhere else and won't be back.
Last Tuesday I took out the garbage on my way to work. When I got in the car I noticed this terrible odor on the hand I used to hauled the garbage can. I suspected it was cat piss. I've noticed the toms sitting on top of the can in the past. I had a heck of a time getting the smell off my hand.
If this continues to be a problem I will have to take some action. I'm thinking of maybe putting catnip on the highway in front of the house.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a similar problem with Toms marking my front screen door.

I had that problem up in St. Marys, Ga a few years back. I put a CB short in his skull, the smell went away. Didn't even chip the tile, and I'm proud of that. thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.Final.Solutions

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote