Find
Notify
Tools

Could have been worse!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted
We had a little wind storm come through the hood this afternoon, of course as usual I was a couple of hundred miles from the house at the time. Result was the neighbors TALL gum tree came to rest on, and through, my work shop. Hit the rascal so hard it knocked it off the foundation, (actually mashed blocks out of the foundation wall where it pushed the building sideways, and racked it about 6", and pulled the anchor bolts through the plate) put 3 holes through the roof, crushed the double sill at the top edge right under the tree. Rain poured in and wet the air compressor down good, but it seem to be O.K. Destroyed my dog pen,(old lab was fit to be tied, when I got in and cut him out, he pissed all over the offender first thing). Good news is nobody was hurt, and the bole missed the new reloading building\crat blind, now that would have really hacked me off. Got the insurance man headed out in the morning, took a bunch of pictures, and have tarps spread over the saws, drill press, grinders etc., have a feeling this one is a total loss. Actually mashed blocks out of the foundation wall where it pushed the building sideways, and racked it about 6".

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!! I've got 25+ trees on my lot so I guess it could happen to me anytime too! Insurance is paid up though.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Great opportunity for the worriedman's maginot line of defense against marauding hordes of crats.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
Tough break Worried. But hey, the shop was too small anyway, right? Cool

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
quote:
the shop was too small anyway, right?

Kind of my thoughts, if they (insurance)will pay for materials, I can wind up with a much bigger, nicer building. Might just have a big weekend, with a barn razing/raising.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the trouble ya got on yer hands now...be leary of them 'barn raisins' though. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.NotFit.ToBeEt

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crimson Mister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by worriedman:
quote:
the shop was too small anyway, right?

Kind of my thoughts, if they (insurance)will pay for materials, I can wind up with a much bigger, nicer building. Might just have a big weekend, with a barn razing/raising.

New one will be too small also. Trust me, they always are. Big Grin

Some people are a lot like Slinkies: They're not good for much but it's kind of fun to push them down a flight of stairs.

Posts: 772 | Location: Norwalk, Wisconsin | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
Did a short meeting first thing at the office, then donned the overalls and pulled out the chain saws. Knew my 78 year old father would be have his feelings hurt if I did not call him to help, so I got the limbs out of the way and asked him over. He crawled up on the roof and limbed back to the main trunk. I cabled it off to another tree, and made a cut mid way of the trunk between the eve and the ground, slid right off and did not even tear up the rest of the dog pen fence. Tossed a couple of ropes over the roof, hooked a tarp to them and pulled it over. (figured it would be easier to do that than haul all my tools to a storage unit tonight, as it has sprinkled all day and looks like it could flood any minute) Rebuilt the chain link for the dog, and went to cutting and hauling wood to the ditch. As I came up the steps to the big house, kept feeling something bumping on my heels, realized it was my bohinney! All is ready for the insurance adjuster.