Find
Notify
Tools

Sound effect
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have been developing loads for a NEF rifle I rechambered to 357 Remington Maximum from 357 magnum. I needed something to test these on so I set a can of cat food out in the back field a ways. Late yesterday a tom decided he wanted some cat chow and started to feast on the can. I waited until he moved around so his rear end was facing me. When he lifted his tail I put the crosshairs right on his discharge port and sent the 180 XTP on its way. It is hard to describe the sound a hollow point makes on that end of a cat at 2000 FPS. Kind of a POP and a WHAP. It is a satisfying sound. Next I will try the same bullet out of my 358 Norma Magnum. I want to know if the sound affects are different at 3300 FPS. Time to head for Safeway and buy more cat food. The checkout clerk I go to knows what I do with the cat food and gives me a discount. Kindred soul.

I trust you guys have had a productive day also.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OEH! once again I bow before your scientific Mind waveI After many years of sending cats on their final journey across the Styx. have never really noticed any thing but a solid THUNK!Now I will have to compare the sounds of Cat versus Fox hits!Then it will be Goat versus Roo hits beer

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got a question that begs to be answered! Is a "Texas Heart Shot" a legal shot when one is not actually in Texas? Confused derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by derf:
Well I got a question that begs to be answered! Is a "Texas Heart Shot" a legal shot when one is not actually in Texas? Confused derf

derf,

If you use or make this shot and are worried about what to call it. You may rename it the BC Heart Shot. thumb

Hog Killer

PS: dok, you could call it the Aussie Ennama jump

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you OEH for sharing with me something I can no longer enjoy myself, years of operating drilling rigs and shooting varmints enmasse have left me almost deaf but I can just imagine that sound Smiler

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter

I shoot Hornady 125gr Hollow Points (they have a HUGE hollow point!) out of my .358 Norma Mag.

I have only loaded them to "only" about 3000fps so far, but remember that this bullet is intended for velocities of perhaps 1400fps at the most.

The effect on a fox is hard to describe, but perhaps "nuclear explosion" captures the carnage...

The blast and muzzle flash (especially at dusk) is a bit stunning though. Eeker

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a wonderful ending

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next I will try the same bullet out of my 358 Norma Magnum.

Such a nice Swedish cartridge, hold in high regard by Swedish moose hunters (even if most of them perfer either 6.5x55 or 30-06)! Perhaps you have an old Husqvarna as well? I do not know if Nils Kvale had crats in mind when he developed the 308 Norma Magnum, but I should not be suprised if he did! Wink

Regards,
Marterius

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I concluded my testing today. An older and bigger Tom came to my bait to satisfy his appetite. It took him awhile to get turned the right direction and he didn't lift his tail until another cat came into the yard. I was being diligent and was ready to finish my testing. The 358 Norma Magnum easily launched the 180 XTP at very high velocity and with great accuracy through the 4x12 Burris set at 12x. The sound was definitely different. It was more like slapping calm water with a flat paddle. The end result was almost comical.
The tom looked like someone had turned a sock inside out like you might if you were getting ready to put it on
your foot. He looked like someone had pushed his rear fur and body parts up around his neck to make a collar. My dog was confused because he didn't know which end to bark at.

Testing completed. It was again a productive day.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!