Find
Notify
Tools

Construction job
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Many here know I have a 37 1/2 yard distance from the back door/deck/stealth blind area to the baiting station(bird feeder) in the yard. I built a little form around the feeder post last week and was thinking about the mix and pouring the concrete to fill it when I had the brilliant idea to mix in some tuna and meow nuggets so the slab would have an attraction all its own that would last a long time like tinted concrete. I have a medium size small job mixer. So I went down to the grocery and got some rotten, stinking tuna fish chunks and some equally nasty thawed shrimp from my hunt club buddy who is the butcher there, along with a 3 lb. bag of busted and swept up cat nuggets(they were stinking too and only 50 cents). I dumped them all in the bottom of the mixer, added the gravel, sand and cement, but no water and came into the house for lunch. The load gate was down, machine plugged in, and the hose was handy. As I sat at the kitchen table lunching on extra crispy fried cat and left over mew goo tai pan, extra spicy, I was looking out at the job site when out of nowhere comes this big brindle tom that jumps right up there on the load gate and then down into the tub. Well, I finished up lunch pretty quick as I was thinking about a treat to cap it off. So I eased out to the mixer and flipped the switch on and started spraying the water in there too. The screeching only lasted about a minute, like it usually did, and when I looked in the tub the mud was perfect. I guess I need to grease the end bearing some day. So I poured it out into the barrow and then tipped into the form. Poked that odd lump of brindle down and noticed how well the nuggets and shrimp mixed with the gravel, and saw the bit of brindle/brown tint in the mix. And yes, smelled that faint fishy smell too. It only took a few minutes to finish the little slab and now that it is sort of cured, I've seen some paw prints around the edges where the form was and I backfilled. I may have to patent this idea, except ,of course the folks here don't have to pay any royalty. I have sworn to wait 30 days before scientifically observing with my 4X.22 just how much traffic there is.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I ask myself "Pole, why do you come in here?"

The above is why I keep coming back in here, Pure Genius.

I gotta pour a side walk 'round to the front of the garage from the kitchen porch.About 25-30 feet out I'm gonna try this "Bait Concrete.'

Wait 'til Birman XO see's this.

This type of war planning rates up there with Rommel,,Patton,,,,Ghengis..the list goes on and on. XO is fertilizer.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OMG! The wife and I are planning to replace our driveway...OMG! OMG! 160' of curving cratcrete! OH MY GOD!!! clap Back to the bench boys, I really gotta load up some brass. I'm gonna need it!

NS, do you trade off gravel quantity equal for Kibbles and Bits? Maybe I'll sell some of that Mexican tile stuff too, 'cept with crat and gator tracks instead! Whooooeeeee! Start up the chainsaw Ma, we got to move some trees! thumb

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Scented.Cratcrete

Nine wonderful scents! jump

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HTRN
posted Hide Post
Lumpy concrete?

you should have thrown a few bricks into the mixer and ran it some more to even out the consistancy.

HTRN

Posts: 261 | Location: In my Subterranean lair, okay, I admit it, it's a basement | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of worriedman
posted Hide Post
N.S., you should have post tensioned your slab with the brindle! Crat as an aggregate replacement may leave a little to be desired, but catgut is pretty strong and about 20K lbs. tie from edge to edge would make sure your structure stayed cohesive. I am afraid however that just one deadcat for the anchor and a cathead for the tensioning device may be a little light for the job, might want to up that to two crats per direction, transverse and longitudinally, requiring 4 crats to satisfy NC and Southern Building Code. (You did call for an inspection??)

Actually, now that I think about it, prestressing may be the best use of the materials that you have chosen. Tack the tail to one form, pull the head to the other and fasten, (make sure the resultant strand when plucked lightly with the fingers gives off a note of C for proper tesnion) then place a good stiff mix, water/cement ratio being very important to longevity of cratcrete!

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress." Mark Twain

Posts: 742 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: 27 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New science is always exciting. Plus I figure that 2 or 3 hundred years from now some urban archaeologist will find that fossil rock rounded by generations of cat licks and what was my yard about 18 inches deep in .22 cases. Heck, they may even x-ray the damm thing and find the cat fossil within. Bet they still won't get it.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we will eat your bones for this outrage. war crimes indeed. all of you are on the list of the damned. consider yourself cattle. soon the slaughter will begin.

Posts: 79 | Location: wherever there is a female in heat | Registered: 27 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
This type of war planning rates up there with Rommel,,Patton,,,,Ghengis..the list goes on and on. XO is fertilizer

Uhhhh, Ghengis??? You gotta be specific around here when you mention that name. Are we talking Khan or Mr. 8mm point sharpening lunatic?

I wonder...are crats attracted to crat blood? Seems like a good patient shot, a 40 grain ballistic tip at 4000 fps, and some porous concrete would make for a fine self-re-baiting target pad and backstop combo.

Just a thought...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those oils are liable to screw up the concrete. It would have been better to use catnip, kind of like Adobe! derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
better patent the idea - just think what this would do for a highway project.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
An inspiration a relevation, I must put up a cat/bird post!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember that part of the plan was the yardage from the blind on the deck, access with the back door slightly open, The nekid statuette of nefertitty that also doubles as a backstop behind the feeder post, the sand all around the slab for tracking. The Pee-onies in the flower beds in pots with the secret composting chambers underneath, and on, and on, and on.