Find
Notify
Tools

Success!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted
Set the trap last night, Mr. coon took the bait.

Just got finished donning the headlight, going out with the shooting iron with the can attached.

Done deal. Clean-up on isle 3 please. clap

Oh yeah, the most important about using traps, don't forget to wash it down after you are finished. Big Grin

Since I am off to work, I rely on Wal-mart to help with packaging. Yep, good ol Wal Mart bag...Insert contents...double bag please. Then off for the ride to the most convenient trash can. The next one can fertilize my garden.

I hate coons worse then anything. That one won't be doing the garbage round any more. boohoo

Posts: 42 | Location: Florida | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeppers, they are a PITA. Sometimes I wait for them to walk the waters edge before puttin' the iron to 'em. Makes clean up a snap, er, chomp. Cool

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.DanielWas.Hot

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
No NO dont kill them, put him in someones car you dont like !!!!! Or slip him in a locker at work " I have done that " or put him in a suitcase and set it out in a parking lot and set back and see you picks it up. Come on man !! Work with me here.

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
short44,,,that sounds like fun,,,,but here the average is 6 out of 10 have raibies?.And I've seen a bunch of them in broad daylight acting pretty strange,,,,I'm not pissing with them,,,maby shoot them,,nothing else,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Clay on that one. Rabies is endemic with coons and fox down here, I won't even touch the things when they're dead. It's why the pitchfork was invented. And Gators.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Selective.Mayhem

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

Remember that the "coon in the bag gambit" is almost exactly similar to the "cat in the bag gambit". Then disposal becomes a true opportunity for a personal candid camera episode.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Very funny, but these days i am afraid the "cat in bag gambit" would set of all kinds of alarms with the "bomb in bag" paranoids out there. I've seen people get all worked up over nothing enough to not leave parcels of any kind in public places.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Help! I've got a trap-smart critter that I have been unable to catch in the Havahart. 4 out of the last 5 nights it has tripped the trap, reached in through the wire and absconded with the bait--any thoughts besides sitting up with a red light? I usually catch skunks, but an occasional possum wanders in.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
Ah...grasshoppah...

Try this: Take a well-used and empty garbage can and lay it on it's side. Shim it so it doesn't roll around.

Toss a couple of marshmallows in the back of the garbage can. Bait the havahart trap with about 5 marshmallows in the back. Then take one marshmallow and wedge it in the mesh just past the treddle about 4 inches.

Place one before the treddle and one at the mouth of the trap. Insert trap into garbage can. Set the trap catch all the way on, do not set it at the edge.

Place one marshmallow outside the trap about 2 feet away.

That is the one I use to take care of a bait stealer. Works extremely well.

I got another one saturday night. If it is a coon or possum, it will be looking at you in the morning.

Oh yeah, place the trash can lid at the entrance and the edge of the trap on top so the animal can't dig around too much.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frosty, I can tell you been using a live trap for a long time. Wink

Dustoffer, a fella has to remember that people are allegedly smarter than coons and such, the trick being not to educate the little bastards in the first place. Give 'em their diploma the first time around. thumb If we give coons enough edumication they'll get to Mars before we do. Smiler

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.ASureThingFor.PeskyCritters

One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've been getting them since I was a kid. I used to make my own traps back then out of plywood and wire mesh. Problem was, after a few coons, they were shot. The wood got all chewed-up and the wire was bent all outta whack.

As far as live traps, I work for a pest control company and have a nuisance wildlife permit as well. However, coons are one that we never relocate. Because you need property to let them go on and the property owners permission. Plus you must keep a record of what and where you let it go.

Or you euthanize them. Enter ol' bullet.

One more thing on the trap and bait stealer, lube the trap with either cooking oil or mineral oil. No WD-40. Doesnt' work with animals very well.

Lube the catch, the treddle hinge and linkage with the oil. You can dip your finger in it and wipe it on the surfaces. Makes it very slick.

You have to do this every once in a while anyway with a haveahart.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello there 45 LC. Don't worry about the bomb paranoids. They are in hiding because they are scared *hitless. There are however, a helluva lot of thieving bastards out there some brazen, some less so, who will make off with anything they can, unattended or not. They deserve the "cat in the upscale shopping bag".

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips on the Havahart--too late tonight to apply them but tomorrow!!!! Came home tonight from a meeting and when I walked in the laundry room, I heard a bumping noise on the back porch. Thought it was the wife so stuck my head out to tell her I was home. To my surprise, there was the neighbor's calico that I've been trying to assassinate for the past month on my back porch, and unable to get out at that. Not wanting to shoot it on the porch and have the inevitable damage and mess, I got the broom instead and had a good old-fashioned cat bashing. Did you know you can knock a cat 12' with a good swat? After about 15 minutes of yowling, thumping, hissing, and swapping ends of the porch, I let the SOB go. Next time in the yard, it won't be the Sheridan, but the 20 gauge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DigitalDan:

Dustoffer, a fella has to remember that people are allegedly smarter than coons and such. . .

DD-thought I was being smarter yesterday, as I put plexiglass panels on each side of the havahart so the thieving critters couldn't reach thru the wire and steal the bait. Then I built a frame to cover the door arms to keep them from tripping the trap that way. Well, short story is that this morning same results--tripped trap although they didn't get all the bait. And, the trap had been shoved around quite a bit. I'll try the garbage can tip with my single door havahart tonight, and if no luck, it is the red light and "Twenty-ri-twoful" for sure.

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Been thinking about it. Even if seen by the bomb paranoids and called in, you do know what they do with the package, don't you. If it is in a safe location, they blast it right there.

Interesting....

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they use the 12ga or 50 cal disruptor we're talkin puddy tat jello when they are done...Sorry about your Krat Mrs Johnson, we thought it was a bomb!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, are you a fisherman? Get a landing net, about crat size or so, and next time it is on your porch, you can play catch and release, or catch and pinata, or crat skeet, whatever takes your fancy. Just get some good gloves and a good friend if you decide on crat skeet.

Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang! and to think all I had to do was walk out to the workshop and get the landing net. Then I could have done the cold water and skunk scent and let the sob go home to momma.

It's amazing what others' experience can do for your own situation.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dostoffer, wasn't trying to be snide, was speaking in a generic sense, to the public at large as it were. Ever been to Georgia? They sure as hell got some large public in that state...

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Philosophical.Pandering

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-no offense intended on your part and none taken on mine. If I had thin skin, I sure as heck wouldn't be posting on this site! Funny thing about the site--I had no idea there were so many folks out there that have the same deep feelings for cats as I have. clap

One of Us
Picture of Frosty03
posted Hide Post
I like cats...just mine though. They have a job to do and as long as they do it and don't crap in my horseshoe pit, all is well.

The strays though, their time is limited as I am biding my time though. However, the horseshoe pit is exactly 30 yards from my backdoor. I have paced it, and I have the CZ sighted in exactly at that range. How convenient.

Woe to the stray that craps in my horseshoe pit as the safety comes off for that infraction.

Ya know, might have something to attract them to one spot besides bait...Hmmm...make a sand pit with lots of fluffy sand. Toms can't seem to walk by it without digging a hole and leaving a turd or something in it.

Might be worth looking into as it can be partially walled/fenced-off to keep others from seeing what is going on in it.

Yeah...might be onto something here. However, my horseshoe pit has builders sand in it and they love it. It got to the point I would put plywood over it to keep the turds out.

The last one loved it so I made compost out of him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be a really good place for a deadfall. Use a pallet of Quick-Crete for a solid thump. Sand Pressed Crat over Noodles, you heard it here first! beer

Dan

Pres., TYHC

http://www.Sand.Art

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like this sandpit idea. Like bait but it don't attract flies or need replenished.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DON'T DO IT TURTLE! It will be worse than establishing a meet-up location for skunks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
To update on my ongoing efforts to trap my backyard bait stealing critter--finally caught a possum. Will have to wait and see if that was the only critter--