New
Find
Notify
Tools

Covert cat sniping question.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well my land lord has ordered me to eliminate 2, possibly 3 cats killing birds and harrasing squirrels. They ae aslo infesting his storehouse. I have very effectivly killed starlings and pigeons with CCI CB's and Aguilla Super Colibri's, But I am worried that these will just wound the pussy and or make it scream. If you can not tell noise is an issue-lots of nosey and stupid neighbors. I would and intend to buy a silencer , but they are not legal in Iowa. I would have to leave it with my dad in florida if I got one. Ok enough rambleing. Have you guys successfullly kiled the pussy with the ammo I mentioned?-Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
deleted Big Grin

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They dont scream when ya shoot them ,just when they are screwin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.223 VV, use the CB's and don't look back. If you have a p'up it couldn't carry the crats I've killed with those things! Head shots, and if you can't do that, then don't. Sight your gun for the range anticipated, practice a little if you're unsure of the whole affair...they work, no bones about it....but you need to put 'em in the brain pan. thumb Just don't know about the Colibris, never used them, but some have reported success.

I wouldn't set about making a silencer, even an expedient field version...you sure as shit don't want to be accosted by J. Law with one of those things...it's Federal, and there is no need to be strokin' their egos my friend.

Dan

POTYHC

http://www.LongBarrelsCBShorts.LittlePopEqualDeadCrats

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
Body shots with CBs will allow the cats to get just far enough away to "self-dispose."

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellas,
I have no intention of manufacturing a suppressor of any kimd. I intend to buy on legaly in ohio. I DO NOT RECCOMEND ANYONE MANF. A SUPPRESSOR EVEN THE BOTTLE TRICK IS A FELONY. That being said BTT.-Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hound,

Watch yourself. What you just said above can get you in jail for 10 years and $250,000 US Funds fine. They would charge you with conspiricy to violate federal firearmss laws.

I would suggest a moderator take it off.[/QUOTE]

I have no prob with my post being removed, given that we spend so much time laughing about quasi legal acts on here......i should watch out for the black helicopter huh? Wink
Are you Yanks gonna come up to Canada and clap me in irons? Right along with the guys in your and other countries who have web sites advocating sex with children and who are NOT joking.
Your correct in one thing it was likely a bit beyond, but your reaction did not help, i can edit my post but not yours Roll Eyes

Dogs have masters.....cats have "staff"..... but i aint no servant!

Posts: 203 | Location: Vancouver Island BC | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hound,

Edited my post too. I own one for my .223, but I filled out all the background info, paid my $200 so I can have one to play with. Its a touchy subject in the US.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Yeah,yeah,yeah. Silencers , even throw-aways are illegal.Everybody nows that.

I think you can get by with clubbin ya a crat and then mounting it on yer .22 via the crats vent.

Point Crat/.22 combo at crat two....Voila.

I would pay to see a video of that infraction presented in court. Smiler

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am "iffy" about using CB's. I can not get better than a 2 inch group at 15 yards. However With the Collibri's I can get a .5-1" group at 15 yds. I think I will try to get one today witht the Collibri's. I will post the results good or bad.-Ben

head shot of course.

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
While attached "moderators" are illegal, it is perfectly legal to deal with excess muzzle noise using non-attached structures and or devices. I prefer using frames made of plywood, mounted on the table I am shooting from. You can also shoot from inside a structure, like a garage, car or box.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Very true. In fact, if you shoot a 22lr rifle from your kitchen table out a slightly opened patio door your neighbors will probably not hear the shot. Just make sure the muzzle is well inside the house and no one is about to walk around the corner and come in the door! Eeker

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Anybody seen the directions for making a tinfoil beanie? I heard it helps when discussing cat regulations.

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can not get better than a 2 inch group at 15 yards.

Jeez, I get .5" at 50 yards with CCI CB shorts...

I cut loose with a 20 ga. pump once inside a Fairlane 500...dunno what it sounded like outside but my ears rang for a day or two...didn't kill anything but the dimmer switch. By buddy's eyes were so big they never got small again...

Dan

POTYHC

http://www.DontAsk.How

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of mills
posted Hide Post
cb longs out of my mod 61 are more silent than my Beeman R9 .177

Posts: 33 | Location: bonita springs fl | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeez, I get .5" at 50 yards with CCI CB shorts...

Dan,

What Gun are you using? I use a marlin mod 25 and a henry lever action for my "Urban Sniping" I shoot Offhand and Iron sights. I have had a scope on the Marlin before but since have removed it. I am a decent shot, and am Qualified Sharp Shooter at work but I just cant get that good of a group. I am' just a little doubtfull of your claim. Maybe you can tell me what your doing different. I could see that group off a Bench rest. But I, in this situation am shooting off hand. What are you doing different to get .5" @ 50yds w/ a CCI CB? Thanks for the reply-Ben

EDIT-BTW I have had no luck getting ol'tabby.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
First I must state that I keep collared cats off the hit list, I've got one that kinda like myself. Anyway, I have successfully utilized the CB rounds inside city limits - from inside my house. Just open a door or window, be several feet from the opening, and turn up the TV or CD player. Head shots are best. Feral cats are a big problem for neotropical birds.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.223 VV, I must admit your disbelief wounds my heart. Frowner Okay, well here's my secret....I'm shooting off a bench for that number, but then I take rested shots in the field when possible and necessary. The next thing is that I'm shooting them from what T/C calls a match chamber(Bentz IIRC, Short of course), in a T/C Carbine, 20" barrel. The Twist is 1:16, which is wrong for a short bullet, but right enough for Long Rifle. And yes, it is scoped. Weaver 4X Rimfire FWIW.

Also, I embellished a little. The top group is .535", the bottom one .537". I apologize for that and will do better next time. Actually, it gets kinda boring about the time the guts fall outta the X-ring, so I never bothered to collect any additional targets. T/C did the work for better or worse, CCI loads the bullets...all I do is shoot it. I gots a lots of CF groups I can show if you wanna see 'em! Confused Oh, I did shoot a 3 shot group at 100 yards with it one day about 4 years back, which is the date of groupage above...a wildly lucky clover leaf of just over 1/4". Problem is that I don't know where I put it, so until I find it you'll have to trust me on that one. Shit happens when you move. Smiler

Dan

POTYHC

www.LittleBoolits.FerLittleCrats

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Nice groups there Dan,,,,Might have to twist my brothers arm to try out his 20" t/c .22 barrel Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan, when you get bored shooting targets with the 22 try switching to Dandylions. When you get too good on them, try using two rounds to take them out AND when that gets too easy, try for straight stem shots! I can't do it but a watched two guys competing one time and that is what they were doing with their reworked Martini's. Surprisingly enough it was the retiree that won it!! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surprisingly enough it was the retiree that won it!!

Why should that surprise derf? We got more time to practice...on paper, squills, crats...whatever. Cool

Dan

POTYHC

www.ThatsJust.Dandy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Fair enough. I believe you now. You just can not trust what everybody says. Especially on the internet. Those are some good groups. I will put mine on the bench tonight and see what I can do. I will post pics later. It is very windy today so I will only shoot 25 yards. Thanks for posting the pics. Will you post a picture of that barrel? Thanks again Dan-Cheers-Ben mgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I stopped at the range on the way home to shoot some groups. The wind is gusting at about 35 mph. I almost just went home, but I figured I was already there so what the hell. You can see from the targets That you will need a yard stick to measure them. Oh well, I will go back and try again when it is not so Got-Damn windy. So here are the pics for your veiwing pleasure...and uh, take it easy on me. from the left to right -the first taget was Remington Golden bullets, The second target was Remington sub-sonics, The third target was Remington HI-Velocity shorts, The last target was Auguilla Super Colibri's. I grabbed a box of CB shorts and I had put the sub sonics and the remington shorts in the CB box a while back. So I had no CB shorts to test. Oops. But I made the best of it and tested all the ammo I had in my truck. So here are the pictured results. All were 5 shot groups and with the Hi-Velocity shorts(third target) Only 2 made it on the paper. -Ben

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ben, even with that wind it oughta do better than that. Really curious to me that your Colibris appear to have done the best work for you. Confused Wind right to left was it? Wink I'm not familiar with the Henry .22's at all, it appears to be a handsome gun in any case. Maybe you should take a good close look at the crown and the chamber(you'd have to disassemble it for that, or know somebody with a bore scope)...something just ain't right there. Either that or take it back for an exchange. I've heard mixed reports on them, some do well, others maybe not. How does it do with Long Rifles? Confused

At present the Carbine is buried behind some other stuff, will get it out shortly and put it on display.

Oh, by the way, you may want to downsize your pics there on Photobucket. You'll find that above the picture in your file, click on "edit". Second option down...it will automatically downsize your posted pics as well. Try a 50% down size to start out. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.NeedsA.TighterChoke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I am gonna give the gun a real good look through this weekend. Now that I think of it my buddy was having a hard time getting it to shoot straight as well. I have shot this gun alot as it is the gun I grab when ever I am taking kids or Non-shooter to the range. It gives them somthing to do so I can concentrate. The wind was for the most part right to left but it would gust very strong from what felt like straight down. The ammo that was the most accurate in that gun has been Federal Game shocks. It is generaly what I squirrel hunt with.Thanks-Ben