New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Caliber Suggestions?
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted
When faced with a charging armadillo, what caliber/firearm do the more experienced DD (Dangerous 'Diller) Hunters here suggest? I had a hair-raising experience with an armadillo a few years ago and was packing my Ruger SRH in .454 Casull. I felt completely undergunned but got lucky with a one shot stop. That's not completely accurate as he was still breathing, and clawing his way towards me. I was able to get up a tree stand and out of harms way until he expired....... I don't want to face one again with anything less than my .458 Lott in the future.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring your shotgun next time ;-)

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I would give money for an exploding 'dillo video.

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
A shotgun for a 'diller? You must be joking!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey whitworth,

Ever tried a shotgun slug at short range ? Devastating, on crats, wild boar, nutria - these I tried myself. I guess it would work quite well on charging 'dillos Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Obviously the Casull just don't cut it. I may have to take drastic steps. I am seriously thinking my .458 Lott........ I'm just a bit traumatized by the 'diller charge -- or something........

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 454 likely went through without expanding. Try an XTP in that thing, might just get a surprize. Eeker Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Actually the wound channel was quite large (320 grain Corbon penetrators!)! I'm thinking 500 grain Hawk Deadsofts in my Lott at about 2200 fps.......good 'diller medicine!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth, nothin' wrong with a scattergun for dillers, but if you prefer a rifle...somewhere between .14 and .585 will cover the useful calibers I think. Well, except for the .270... sofa

Shot one awhile back with 300 grains of .44 cal dead soft paper patched lead at about 1500 fps. Kinda reminded me of the pig I mentioned recently than caught a 17# 2.75" FFAR. Pretty messy, and there weren't no clawing goin' on afterwards. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.BigChunks.LotsaSplatter

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you need to get with Hubel458 and/or Robgunbuilder about getting one of their 12ga specials built. Eeker Using the 1000gr solid you would stop the charge, gut and de-hair it all at the same time.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Last year I had two incounters with 'dillers. Fortune smiled on me, as I happen to be carrying my Lott. Loaded with 405gr Remmy SP. Always use enough gun cheers

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
I think you need to get with Hubel458 and/or Robgunbuilder about getting one of their 12ga specials built. Eeker Using the 1000gr solid you would stop the charge, gut and de-hair it all at the same time.

Boy, that was spoken by a true YANKEE. You do not de-hair a 'diller. You de-shell it. animal

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never claimed to be anything but a yankee, however one of the traits of mamalians is ....hair.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you need to get with Hubel458 and/or Robgunbuilder about getting one of their 12ga specials built.

An up side to the before mentioned rifled bolt gun.
After DNA breakdown of said 'dilla,ya gotchacherself a swimmin' pool. Smiler
Seriously, go to 'Big Bores' and check out what these guys accomplished.

DUDE....

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last 'diller I looked at had hair--on its belly. Topside it is all shell. Friend of mine was briefing a group of brand new army nurses getting ready to go out for some field training near San Antonio--was describing the flora and fauna and what to watch out for-like poison oak, rattlesnakes, scorpions, and "little tiny armored pigs". That has us all chuckling and the nurses were scratching their heads.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shot one awhile back with 300 grains of .44 cal dead soft paper patched lead at about 1500 fps.

Dang, I have got to start going on line earlier, I was going to suggest soft lead and paper, too. I found an outfit that swages pure lead .45 boattail hollowpoints for use in sabots in .50's. I paper patch them for my 45-70. I figure 5744 wouldn't be too violent a start to deform them. My first tries were light loads of Rx7, er, Re7 (i get my driving and shooting confused) but didn't load enough to get good figures.

Anyone want some .50 sabots?

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
Shot most of the many armadillos I have killed in my life with a 22 bolt action single shot? Had to keep em from killin the chickens. i did shoot one point blank with a 12 gauge while dove hunting once. It satisfied me knowing he was dead with no questions asked.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Only a brave man faces a 'diller with a single-shot .22......... You Mr. Gunz, have stones!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my favorite is a spade shovel. It get the adreneline pumping to face one at that distance. Smiler Favoring the roundhouse overhead delivery, and appearing so deranged that nosy neighbors think you belong on the Group W bench....and leave you alone. Wink

Dan

POTYHC

www.IWanna.Kill!

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FORE, Clang, Splaash! Yo lilBob, here boy!!! clap derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
No i am not hero by any stretch. i grew up on a farm in Oklahoma. Armadillos were a commom occurance. When the chickens went crazy in the middle of the night I was always the one that had to go see what was causing the chickens to go crazy. I always picked up my springfied model 15 single shot 22 on my way out. Usually found a opossum, or coon, But had the occasional armadillo also. Just shoot them clean with a good head shot and I could drag the carcass out and go back to bed. I did run into a bobcat in the chicken coupe once. Made a nice pelt. Again i killed him with one shot from the old springfield. i still have that gun. never took care of it or anything growing up. It is the only rifle I wont ever sell. Period. But looking back i guess the was better choice of firearms to carry out to the chicken house.I just always went for old reliable.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Good post there Gunz. That is what we are lookin' for. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote