New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best size trap??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whats the best size Conibear Trap for "cat"?
The baited live trap won't work anymore because after the treatment the cat got last time, it won't go anywhere near it. Still comes in the shop about twice a week and craps on the floor, right where I work. I think it's one of those "catch me if you can" things. The worst part is you don't see the turds till you run over them and it sticks to the tires. Then you have to work around the smell all day. The furry bastard is going to die, one way or another. I like the idea of the "bug eyes" when the trap catches them. 200? 220? Whats the best size? Extra strong springs? I would think more on the line of "hollow point" or "soft point" but the decision on a special trap size has me wondering. Need some input guys. And tell PITA to "Bite Me"! Wink Mike.

Posts: 62 | Location: Potter Valley, Ca.125 mi. N. of SF | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still comes in the shop about twice a week and craps on the floor, right where I work.

Are you sure it is a crat and not one of your co-workers? Eeker Big Grin

Regards,
Marterius Cool

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not poison it? I believe it was stated on this very forum that Tylenol is poison to cats. Sprinkle a little on some cat food, sardines, or whatever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it always go in the same spot? If so then perhaps a "Maylay Gate"(sic) is the answer? derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 200 or especially the 220 would work well. I do remember warning you that this would happen the first time though. Big Grin

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
NEVER, under any circumstances should a cat be released alive from a trap..The reason we use live traps is for skunks, to control their spraying..KILL all cats, they would do the same to us.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
One thing I have done is to take a clean trap and coat it with cat food and leave it outside for a day or so. This masks the fresh steel unfriendly smell. Does you trap have teeth? If so, make sure they are sharp. I have seen a tunnel of sorts formed with crates with several traps lined up in the tunnel with tempting cat food at the end in a trap. The tunnel must have a roof so the cat can't hop over all the traps. One guy covered the bottom of a large tub with traps and cat food. When the cat jumped into the tub the only option he had was to step into a trap. When he flopped around he got into more of the traps.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK! Ne ner Ne ner Ne ner. I told you so.( I knew that was coming) I know "now" I never should have turned it loose. But thats history! Red Face Everybody is entitled to "One" mistake! Ya think?
The cat craps in the same place every time. Small cracks in the cement. Right in the middle of the floor. Still can't figure out why. Maybe it's "payback"?
Poison is "not" a option! (maybe later if I can't catch the furry shit) I want to see it's eyes bugged out! Big Grin There's cat food in the trap now but a can of tuna might attract it better.
And there is one turd that we work with but I doubt he would crap on the floor. But maybe??? The steel traps might be an option. The tuna is the next step. Patience and perseverance shall prevail! In other words, I'll get the bastard! One way or another!

Posts: 62 | Location: Potter Valley, Ca.125 mi. N. of SF | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
A 110 is all you would need in a conibear trap,,There might be too much tension on the trigger for a crat to spring a 220,,which I've tryed for crat with no success,,does rather well for chucks though.a tough piece of beef spoiked through the trigger hairs,,then bend so the bait can't be easily be pulled off should do the trick,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Figure 4 deadfalls work very nicely in the situation you describe. Use meathead's linch for bait.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
I think the two part epoxy put in the cat food would help "stop" the problem, provided it is a veeery slow setting epoxy. Mad

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason it always goes in the same spot is because it left it's own smell there. You can eliminate the smell or use that info to eliminate said Crat. Obviously the latter option would be the one preferred by this rather jaded group of judges! Big Grin derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the size # on my Conibears but they are the single spring type with square jaws that are about 8" or 9" long on each side of the square. Tie the trap down as there is about a 1% chance that you could catch the cat by a non vital piece of pu$$y.

I use fishing line and tie a chicken neck or a dead sparrow to the trigger. Great trap. I loaned one trap to a man who had never set a trap before. Gave him a 5 minute training session and he caught 6 cats in two weeks with one trap.

"And this too shall pass."

Posts: 55 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
James,,The single springer's are the #110's,,sounds like you have the method down to a "t",,,Happy Cratting,,.Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James, I didn't know they allowed such contraptions in the City of Angels? Confused

Dan

POTYHC

www.AndWelcome.AboardToo

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD,

I think you're right about "not allowed". You do have to "run silent, run deep". I live in a rural area and have about 1.2 acres of land so I can conceal the traps I set.

My friend who borrowed a trap likes to live dangerously. He lives in a very fine (but small lots) neighborhood in Orange County.

BTW, I did not know what types of traps were needed until I had a problem. I called a man in Minnesota who advertised in Fish Fur and Game magazine and bought the Conibears at his recomendation.

Jim

"And this too shall pass."

Posts: 55 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's good there is a resistance movement out there in California! It may be a long battle, but don't ever give up. Right will win out in the end! thumb

Dan

POTYHC

www.GoodCrats.InTheCityOfAngels

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Years ago my buddy used a cniber for a crat trap. I think it was a 220. It was about the size of the mouth of a 5 gallon bucke. He wired the trap to the mouth of the bucket, put some meat scraps or a can of tuna in the bucket, lay it on its side, then set the trap. When the crat walked through the opening to get the bait.........
Red Face)

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote