Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How can I lure a rooster
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, the people behind us have a rooster that likes to wake up everything at 5:30am, I have tried everything to lure him into my yard but he wont go, I was thinking of borrowing a chicken but I am not sure. What do you guys think.

Im using a pellet gun to take it out, as I do not want to wake up the neighborhood

Posts: 27 | Location: The 'burbs of Miami, Florida | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cracked corn and a brain shot. If you can't brain 'em try between the shoulder blades when he is showing his south side. Pellets are light for big birds, pick your shot well.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.CockA.DoodleWhap

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you may also wish to review the "blanket" statement for Oops.... ned

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What are you talking about?

Posts: 27 | Location: The 'burbs of Miami, Florida | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Just remember when you shoot that bird he will probably leave a feather trail. You'll get busted. Your stupid neighbor is to blame, not the bird. Ask the idiot to shut the bird in for the night. It keeps my 12 pound rooster quiet. My barn is 40 yards from the house and faces my bedroom. I sleep just fine.

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
In regards to the feather problem, there is a way around it. Just soak some feed corn in Antifreeze and leave a dish of it in your yard.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wadcutters will work as good as anything at the range your talking. Looks like you've got the accuracy for a headshot which is the only shot you should take on a rooster with a pellet gun.

Just bear in mind that it likely won't drop on the spot. I'm sure you've heard runnin' round like a chicken with it's head cut off. Have your story figured out before you get caught. "I thought it was a pheasant" always worked for me

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sage advice Turtle...it won't hold up in court, but in the world of neighbors and BS you might claim you were tippin' some malt and thought you were being assaulted by a runaway from San Francisco.

This thread is a little whacky...nervous sorta, goin' all different directions and all, and since I have contributed I will try to clarify my blanket.

Cracky, first off, I never heard of a winchester pellet gun, but .177's @ 1000 ft per WILL do the job if placed properly. In the case of the .177 bore(keep the faith son, that's larger than the bore of the .17 Rem.) you need to narrow your focus down to head shots only. I don't think you can count on the "between the shoulder blades" shot as you will not have great penetration there. Your low light shooting seems to be excellent, so take your time and place your shot, the bird will flop from a pill in the brainpan. Keep in mind that shot is one of the toughest on earth IMO, as I've done it to a few turkeys and they just don't hardly stop moving their noggin' for but a fraction of a second. A trick I use now and then is to get set up for the shot then make a little cluck, just loud enough to get their attention. Just like other critters they often will freeze briefly to identify the nature of the sound...that is your chance. Be patient, shoot straight, and good luck.

Dan

Pres., TYHC

www.DeathAt.Dawn

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I too have a Winchester pellet gun, only mine is a single shot pistol.Very accurate and very old.
Cracky, I have the fading vision that comes w/ old age. Do your targets really have 75 yards printed on em?
If so , your firearm shoots like some of my centerfires.
How much do you want for that rifle?

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
One of my dogs came home one morning a few years ago with my next door neighbor's prize winning exotic rooster in his mouth.

I nearly flipped out, but quickly disposed of the evidence and never heard anything of it, so I guess all was well.

I prefer the anti-freeze idea myself if you can get away with it. (Although, come to think of it, I've lost two dogs to an unknown someone anti-freezing them, so who knows ...)

Just thinking about this from the other side of the coin too ... it might be cool to have a dedicated 5:30 am alarm clock to wake me up for a morning jog before work and breakfast every day.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I too have a Winchester pellet gun, only mine is a single shot pistol.Very accurate and very old.
Cracky, I have the fading vision that comes w/ old age. Do your targets really have 75 yards printed on em?
If so , your firearm shoots like some of my centerfires.
How much do you want for that rifle?

LOL, nope, 25 yards, some of it is my bad handwriting. Now people, the problem isnt the shot, the problem is luring it into my yard. I already have a story ready, my dog is a fullgrown Rottweiller and has been trying to get the rooster too!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Crackyflipside---You answered your own question. How can you lure a rooster into your yard? Simple enough until you told us the rest of the story. You have a full grown rotweiller. Unless the rooster is an idiot---he aint coming in your yard. Trade Ol Rover off for a pet hen. If you are too attached to do that, never seen it done nor even heard of such,but you might be able to get some hen scent--if they make such,and glue feathers all over Rover and teach him to cluck like a hen. You wont have to worry about the shot when the rooster tries to mount a rottweiller,unless Rover is kinky.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Try to get a video of it.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote